Author Topic: How many wood chips = an oz?  (Read 1692 times)

Chris W

How many wood chips = an oz?
« on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
Two questions:

How many wood chips will make an ounce?   I don't have my scale yet and want to use up my chips before I buy chunks.

Also, with the chunks, can I make the smoke last longer if I soak one for a few hours before I start using it then leave the other one dry to get smoke quicker?

mike1910

Re: How many wood chips = an oz?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
I can’t answer the first question but I don’t think it’s necessary to soak the chunks. You should have smoke for as long as needed without having to soak. I’ve done numerous 8-10-12 hour smokes where my original wood chunks are still smoking by the end. They’ve turned into little chunks of charcoal by the end. Ive never had to open this smoker mid smoke and add wood. It really is set it and forget it.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »
How many wood chips will make an ounce?   I don't have my scale yet and want to use up my chips before I buy chunks.

I always use a child's alphabet block as reference size for a wood chunk.  By volume, I'd go a little larger with chips to get the same amount of wood since there's a lot of air gaps.

Also, with the chunks, can I make the smoke last longer if I soak one for a few hours before I start using it then leave the other one dry to get smoke quicker?

That would probably work, but not make a lot of difference and not particularly necessary.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
Soaked wood makes steam not smoke. No need to soak. If your wood is steaming not smoking as the meat heats up you are loosing opportunity to flavor the meat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud