Author Topic: The Great Tasso Experiment 2013  (Read 2738 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
The Great Tasso Experiment 2013
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
For anyone who enjoys Cajun and Creole cuisine, you know that tasso is a damn fine way to season gumbo, jambalaya, red beans & rice, and all other sorts of Louisiana/Gulf Coastal delicacies.  For those of you who've never had the pleasure, tasso is a spicy pork (usually strips of pork butt or loin) that isn't eaten on it's own but serves as a spicy, smoky alternative to salt pork or bacon in many dishes.

Since I haven't had time to drive a couple of hours east to go pick up some locally made tasso, I've decided to embark on my own little experimental journey.  I debated doing a straight smoked version vs. a cured/smoked version and have settled on the simplest means first.

If anyone has any experience with this please help me validate the following recipe using 10-12 boneless country style ribs, trimmed:

6 Tbsp table salt
4 Tbsp light brown sugar
4 Tbsp ground black pepper
4 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp ground celery seed
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp ground mustard

Coat the pork pieces with yellow mustard and apply a thorough, heavy layer of rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours and place in cold smoker at 215 until the internal temperature reaches 170 over 4-5 oz. of pecan or cherry.  Tasso is a very smoky meat so I'm anticipating doing a small reload at the 2.5 hour mark.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have any experience smoking this type of product.  If it doesn't pass muster I may go with another prep that uses a sugar cure before smoking ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!