Author Topic: water pan...drip pan  (Read 4228 times)

kingkrmx

water pan...drip pan
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »
Sorry for silly question....new to this smokin` stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
when folks talk about a water pan for moisture durin smokin a pork butt, its not the pan underneath that comes with the unit?
where do u put the second water pan?

smokeasaurus

Re: water pan...drip pan
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
no sir, that is for drippings. You will find with these types of smokers that getting moist meat is not a problem. You could set a can of water or juice or beer next to the wood box to add additional flavor but you will find that a good rub and wood and a Smokin-it is all you need........imho.........

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum, no silly questions here.

A water pan for moisture would be a small pan you put inside the smoker on the bottom next to the woodbox.

If you go to the Smokin-It website and navigate to any of the smoker product pages you'll see some videos where Steve used a simple pan made of foil. I've used a small baking pan but pretty much anything that holds liquid and fits inside the smoker would work.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »
Water pans are necessary for some smokers (those lacking rheostat temp control) to stabilize the chamber temperature and prevent the meat from being cooked at too high a temperature; technically, those pans could be filled with sand and you'd have the same benefit (much like a baking stone in an oven for stable temps for bread or cookies).  Admittedly, filling a water pan with a liquid will also help promote internal moisture ...

Smokin-It does offer a hanging water pan ( http://www.smokin-it.com/Miss_Lilly_s_p/lilly.htm ) that can be used to promote internal humidity; you can use water, juice, beer, or a combination of liquids and whole spices to provide an aromatic mist for your meats.

Smoke is correct that even a 12oz. can of liquid, with the top removed, will do the trick nicely, as would a disposable aluminum cake pan located on the bottom of the smoker or even the first shelf.

Hope this helps ... give a shout if you have any more questions!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
Welcome to the club, Kingkrmx!  I use disposable "mini loaf" pans from the WalMart baking section - they fit perfectly on the side of the smoke box in my #1.  I've tried apple juice, and water in the pan, and really can't tell much difference.  I do believe in the moisture-adding effect, though.  The Smokin-It units are so tight that they really hold the moisture in there, and I haven't had a dry piece of meat out of it yet!  You may get the same results without a water pan, but I'm a little superstitious...don't screw with a process that I've found works well!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kingkrmx

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
 ;)   you folks are very kind....thanks for the help.....happy holiday weekend....be safe....

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
;)   you folks are very kind....thanks for the help.....happy holiday weekend....be safe....

That's what we're here for!  This is a great community of hobbyists, and you'll find the info and ideas here second to none!  One more minor "tip;"  when you foil the bottom of the smoker, don't forget to cut a hole for the drain hole (that's what the drip pan's for).  I goofed one time doing beef jerky and had juice all over the bottom of the smoker!  lol.  Couldn't figure out why my drain pan was empty!  Duh.... ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!