Author Topic: Rub just for beef ribs  (Read 8513 times)

cohiba

Rub just for beef ribs
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »
Hey All,

Newbie here so be kind if this is a remedial question...remember newbie smoker ....so that in turn means newbie rub questions.

Let me explain what I'm wanting, then it might narrow it down.

1st.  My wife and I like a dry or semi juicy beef rib.  Nothing driping sauce from it or on it. ....to much. The ribs either "naked" with just rub or a tad bit of sauce.  We like to put the sauce (amount) on it ourselves as we eat it.

Of course we want it to be moist or somewhat moist from iit's own fat or juices.  Not boot leather, cut it with an electric knife..tough.

So..what rubs have you used and liked, disliked, or even made yourself.  PLEASE list websites on where to purchase and you can even post ones you don't like....you must put why AND not be a jack a-- about it.  Discussion please, no flaming!!!!

Also...for beef ribs...what temp on the smokin it smoker, how long and if you did a foil wrap or not.

Opps...forgot.  How about a sweet to semisweet type rub...my wife doesn't like mouth burning food.  So, sweet to semisweet rub.

Thanks!!!
Cohiba
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:41:11 AM by cohiba »

Rob Babcock

Re: Rub just for beef ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:12 AM »
Can't help much with a recipe, but I've never found a need to foil anything in a Smokin-It smoker.  They're very "moist", meaning they control airflow well and don't dry out food at all.

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 12:44:59 AM »
have u seen all the rubs and sauce that the Ace hardware on britton rd has? its between penn and western on britton rd

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:03 AM »
Oddly enough, I just picked up two racks of beef ribs for an experiment; I'm doing one with a traditional style (cry rubbed and held overnight) and the other with an Asian-inspired wet rub with a teriyaki glaze during smoking.

Here's the rub I'm using ... please note that I haven't tested this but it's quite similar to my brisket rub so I figure it'll work:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup demerara sugar
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp cayenne pepper

The Asian ribs will be seasoned with kosher salt, white pepper, ground ginger, garlic powder and onion powder, with plenty of light soy sauce applied to help the spice rub adhere.  I'll paint them with teriyaki sauce at the second and fourth hour of a 4-5 hour smoke over applewood (at 225) without any foiling for either rack.

I'll post results on Monday (if the weather permits the experiment).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:08:39 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
... (cry rubbed and held overnight)

Joe, I'd recommend backing-off of the chili powder and cayenne a bit! ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
Whoops ... if it ever gets to the point where I cry when I rub my meat it'll be time to Baker Act me ...   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:13 PM »
Seriously, though, the Asian ribs sound awfully good, Joe!  ...even if there's crying involved (just means you really care) :'(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!