Author Topic: Fruit Wood Storage  (Read 6591 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Fruit Wood Storage
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
(I originally posted this question as part of another thread but figured it warranted its own thread)

I was splitting up some fruit woods I ordered online into 2 - 3oz chunks and realized at the rate I use wood for smoking, I have over a years worth wood and started to think what the best way to store the wood would be.

I came across this link http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/stfrwoch.html that states even under ideal conditions the fruit woods (not hardwoods) are only good for 6 months. Is just for competition quality smoke or a way to sell more wood? Do fruit woods really start to loose it after 1/2 year? Any thoughts?
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

es1025

Re: Fruit Wood Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
I just ordered some cherry wood from fruitawood on Wednesday. I am planning to store in my garage in a small storage bin. I ordered 15 lbs of wood. I agree 2-3 ounce each smoke is a lot of wood, probably around 50 plus events. I guess we have an opportunity to meet new friends and share our passion for smoked meats.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Randy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
what about getting your wood and put 4 ounces in a vacume seal bag and through in freezer. That should keep the moisture level where it needs to be. for a long time.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Hmmm ... if the wood has high moisture content I don't know what would happen if you freeze it without the ability to let it breathe a bit; the cells might rupture and I have no idea what that would do to how it burns.

If it's dry/cured then I think it would be fine but 20lbs of wood in 4oz packs is a ton of bags and a ton of freezer space.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Spresso

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
No worries... there is a lot of space in and around wood cells.  there is a lot of room for expansion.
after all there are trees in -30 weather.

but he loss of freezer space would worry me.....
but it is I think a solid way of keeping wood fresh.   same way to keep green coffee beans fresh for a lot longer than they would normally last.   very well sealed of course.

I keep my wood in the cool basement, humidity is ~45-50% all year. I think it's ideal for wood...
hmm,  I might put a couple of pieces in my wine cellar just to see what happens in 6-12 months....  the humidity there is a lot higher though.... i'd have to keep an eye out for mold
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber