Author Topic: Smoking Gods  (Read 8942 times)

AlinMA

• Al
Smoking Gods
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
They must be smiling down on Al!   
I just had an tree guy over to quote taking down 2 Hemlocks and he smelled my SI#1 cranking and it turns out that he is a smoker also (offset) and we started talking about wood and he told me that he would give me all the wood I want if I was willing to drive 20 miles to pick it up.  He went to his truck and pulled out a log of fresh cut cherry about 4' long by 3 1/2" diameter. My guess is that cleaned up and cut for the Little Guy I'll have about 30...40Lbs.
Needless to say....He got the job and I may also run out and buy a lottery ticket..Talk about hitting the jackpot!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking Gods
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
Good deal, Al!  I hope you like cherry...you will be smoking that wood for a long time!!  LOL!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
Tree guys are a smokers friend.  My neighbor around the block is one and between wood and running wood I come across through his chipper, he has earned a few pork butts going his way. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:08:50 PM »
That is great news Al, you might want to let that cherry wood season a little before putting it in the smoker...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »
Good score, Al!  Be sure to let it season, and don't smoke it green! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 11:35:57 PM »
Tree guys are a smokers friend.  My neighbor around the block is one and between wood and running wood I come across through his chipper, he has earned a few pork butts going his way.
Good idea Dave......He told me that he loves baby backs. I think I'll take him a couple of racks. Hell who knows maybe I can convert him to "Smokin-It". He was amazed that I had a chuck roast going with only 4 ounces of wood.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:40:09 PM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »
Good score, Al!  Be sure to let it season, and don't smoke it green! ;)
Tony, thanks for the heads up on the green wood....I'll let it season to about 25 to 30% before I use it.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
Al, do you own a table saw?  I set the fence and cut all my limbs into disks.  They will season a lot faster that way too. 

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Al, do you own a table saw?  I set the fence and cut all my limbs into disks.  They will season a lot faster that way too.
Yes but I don't have one with a large enough blade to get me through a 4" diameter. What I do is cut the log with a chain saw to 10...12", split them and then use a compound sliding miter saw to cut them 1 1/2" half discs. A bit more waste and work but I get there.
BTW the nice thing about retirement is that your priority list gets awful flexible.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
Yeah, I do something similar by running through the table saw on both sides to rip the log into quarters and then make my cross cut disks. 

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
Yeah, I do something similar by running through the table saw on both sides to rip the log into quarters and then make my cross cut disks.
Sure beats buying the wood! I wish there was  someone in my area that was into "Smokin-It" so I could share my new found bonanza!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
I wish there was  someone in my area that was into "Smokin-It" so I could share my new found bonanza!
I probably have easily 100 lbs of Apple from a friend that got a whole tree and we split it.  How long do you think 100 lbs will last in a Smokin-It smoker?  LOL!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
How long do you think 100 lbs will last in a Smokin-It smoker?  LOL!!!

At 3 smokes per pound, at a rate of 1 per week, it will last 5.77 years.  LOL!!!  Take THAT, "Common Core" math!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
How long do you think 100 lbs will last in a Smokin-It smoker?  LOL!!!

At 3 smokes per pound, at a rate of 1 per week, it will last 5.77 years.  LOL!!!  Take THAT, "Common Core" math!
Since I usually mix my woods, assuming 1/3 apple, that jumps to 17.31 years.  LOL!!! Guess I better get some more.   ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
Way to go, Dave!  Amazing how us "old math" guys can actually solve some problems! ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas