Author Topic: Home Depot Wood  (Read 11462 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Home Depot Wood
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
Wood in this range can be purchased from them via a phone call and they stress that any mold development is the buyers responsibility. Instead of shipping in plastic bags the wood is shipped in cardboard boxes. I placed an order and will see how it goes.

Interesting!  That's why Smokinlicious sells theirs in cardboard boxes, and say to store it open.  I haven't seen any hint of mold on mine.

Here is my 2 cents on the wood......

Before this, buy what ever, you use lots of wood.......

With this smoker, wood usage is really low. So my goal is to use really good wood, the right amount of smoke for an amazing end result.

So unless my results change I am only buying high end wood.

For storage, I live in Florida, so for the weekly smokes I have different sizes of woods in zip lock bags.

The bulk of my woods, I vacuum seal (no mold).

Greg 

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
Quote from: gregbooras link=topic=3670.msg30786#msg30786 date=143
[/quote
For storage, I live in Florida, so for the weekly smokes I have different sizes of woods in zip lock bags.

The bulk of my woods, I vacuum seal (no mold).

Greg, I think you hit the nail on the head! It's all about proper storage for the conditions you have to deal with. If you buy quality wood, store it well and get consistent results smoke after smoke the cost is worth it.

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
I have started using Tupperware containers for the wood, and I put a wet rag in a plastic bag inside the container to keep moisture around the wood.   The key is the moisture content, I think.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
+1 Steve, on the moisture content being the key comment!  It is absolutely possible to "revive" old, really dry wood, using this method - but it can't be rushed!  It can take several weeks, with changes to the wet rag every couple of days, for the wood to reabsorb enough moisture - but it will.  Takes time, but you'll end up with good wood!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
"{Wood in this range can be purchased from them via a phone call and they stress that any mold development is the buyers responsibility. Instead of shipping in plastic bags the wood is shipped in cardboard boxes. I placed an order and will see how it goes."
I received the MGW order last week and when I checked the moisture content it was all over the place. It ranged from a low of 12% (their normal content) to 21%. Of those that were on the high end when split measured lower by 3 to 4 % (re-hydration?) In all fairness to MGW, I used some of the 12% wood for ribs over the weekend and experienced no combustion but as they say their wood does contain bark which I remove and with this shipment it was a pain in the butt!
I wish I had read Tony's experience with "Smokinlicious" before I placed this order.....;No bark, moisture where I want it and the price is competitive.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
Al, what is your aversion to a little bark?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:13 PM »
Al, what is your aversion to a little bark?
The bark could contain mold spores and insect larva.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

KAG

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
just a noob to the forum but not smoking. I never worry too much about moisture content of small pieces of wood. No real issues with dry meat or combustion. Most of the stuff I smoke I start them almost all out with cold smoke before adding heat.

Now dry wood was an issue I fixated on with my old log smoker but since going electric it just hasn't been a big challenge to over come. I do store most of my wood products outside. Log smoking was time consuming and I went electric for a reason but maybe I just am not looking at this right. I am certainly brand new to the SI brand and maybe its an issue to be concerned about. Plus I am a keep it simple type of guy

Certainly interested..........
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:40:54 PM by KAG »

Limey

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 12:51:09 PM »
KAG, when you say you start out with cold smoke before adding heat are you using an external smoke generator or the SI with just enough heat to generate smoke?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

KAG

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
My new SI 3 has not even arrived yet so i really am new to the SI brand. In other smokers I just put a smoke tray in for about 2 hrs on ribs and longer for hams and brisket. I add the meat from the frig and this also allows the meat to warm up before adding heat. I do a lot of cold smoking, curing both dry, wet and brine. Not wet but Pretty humid around here a lot and the wood I get right out of my split fire wood piles and trim down with my radial arm saw then just keep in a bucket on the covered porch. Lots of Mulberry and such

I guess I am interested in learning if wood moisture is a big deal in the SI smoker.   

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
KAG, have you owned a 3 oz. to 6 oz. of wood per smoke electric before?  I never worried about combustion on my propane but now that the door gets shut once and never to be opened again, it is an issue with smoke flavor and quality.  I would rather use techniques to resolve combustion than buy more expensive wood. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah