Author Topic: Home Depot Wood  (Read 11461 times)

AlinMA

• Al
Home Depot Wood
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
I recently purchased a meter to check the moisture content of wood. (Thanks Tony for pointing me in the right direction!) I decided to check my stash and I astonished to find that the HD chunks from Weber that I purchased recently to feed my "Little Guy" not only looked terrible but had significantly low moisture. Apple and Pecan measured 1%, Hickory was at 8% and Mesquite which I purchased last year for my off-set came in at 16%. In comparison the Oak supplied by SI was 18% and Maple that I cut locally was 20%. All my smoking wood is stored in plastic containers in a shed with no climate control. Presently the temperature in the shed is 70 degrees with a R/H of 60%. Pricey lesson.
I just emailed MGW asking for the moisture content of their chunks and pending the answer may purchase some from them. I plan to check the wood when it comes in and if there is any interest I will post the results.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Home Depot Wood
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
Please do, Al!   I am not surprised about the HD wood...others have commented about the low moisture in the big box stores, which leads to combustion when you try to smoke with it.   I have a made couple of purchases from MGW with good results ... great smoke, no combustion.  I will be curious to hear about their moisture content.  Thanks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
Be glad to Steve
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
Interesting, but certainly not surprising, Al!  That HD stuff is old and really dry.  After using Smokinlicious wood, I definitely understand the value of smoking wood being around 30%!  What a difference!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
What are your assumptions on how these companies sell higher moisture content wood?  Sell it greener, steam treat it? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RSNovi

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »
I have been using the HD wood for every smoke I have done.  I haven't used the wood I got from Cookshack with my smoker yet.  Actually some of the wood I have used recently was wood that my dad bought probably 15 years ago when he got a Brinkmann.

I wonder if I am missing something, but I think I have turned out some pretty good food with this wood.  I will have to give the Cookshack wood a shot to see if there is a difference.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »
I have been using the HD wood for every smoke I have done.  I haven't used the wood I got from Cookshack with my smoker yet.  Actually some of the wood I have used recently was wood that my dad bought probably 15 years ago when he got a Brinkmann.

I wonder if I am missing something, but I think I have turned out some pretty good food with this wood.  I will have to give the Cookshack wood a shot to see if there is a difference.

Chris, I believe the choice of wood is a personal preference. I go against the grain and advice of most on here and use Western Wood chunks from the big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and it burns and tastes just as good as wood I have purchased from Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods. The biggest difference is moisture content and the tendency for the drier big box store wood to combust (flame up) in your fire box. To solve this problem I put a folded layer of heavy duty foil in the bottom of my fire box and have not had any problems with combustion from the big box store wood. To answer your question, you are not missing out on anything with the wood you are using. The difference is in the way that they burn and not in the taste, IMO. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
I guess I am on the fence on this one. I only buy the good wood since moving over to #2 smoker. I would also think a wetter wood would product more smoke, but can you tell the difference?

Food for thought here is some info posted on American Wood Product site about the moisture content of wood (note they sell wood). 

When the moisture content of the wood is higher, it adds more water vapor to the smoke, keeping the surface of the meat from drying out too much and thus allowing the smoke flavor to penetrate deeper into the food. Higher moisture woods reduce the need for a separate water tray at the bottom of the smoker and maximize the smoke flavor in your food.High Moisture Content

American Wood Products' high moisture wood is 25% - 35% moisture. This type of wood is generally going to be more expensive than those of lower moisture levels because of the level of care needed to maintain high moisture levels. This level of moisture is the BEST for obtaining a great smokey flavor when smoking at home. This product should not be used for cold smoking, and unused product should be kept in a freezer to maintain freshness and retain moisture.

Moderate Moisture Content

American Wood Products' moderate moisture wood has 16% - 24% moisture. Moderate moisture wood is a great product that can be used for just about any sort of smoking. If you are new to smoking, it is highly suggested that you buy moderate moisture wood products. All moderate moisture products should be stored in a cool, dark place to help retain moisture.

Low Moisture Content

American Wood Products' low moisture wood has less than 15% moisture. This is the most common type of smoking wood available on the market. This type of wood will dry out  meats very quickly and is best used for cold smoking. Unlike the high or moderate moisture wood, the smoke produced from this level of moisture will most likely not penetrate very deep into the meat. This product is highly recommended  if you are cold smoking, or need a product with a nearly unlimited shelf life.

Greg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:29:23 PM by gregbooras »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
What do you guys think the moisture content of a pellet is?  There are a lot of pellet smoker owners swearing by the product that they are putting out. 

RSNovi

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »

Chris, I believe the choice of wood is a personal preference. I go against the grain and advice of most on here and use Western Wood chunks from the big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and it burns and tastes just as good as wood I have purchased from Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods. The biggest difference is moisture content and the tendency for the drier big box store wood to combust (flame up) in your fire box. To solve this problem I put a folded layer of heavy duty foil in the bottom of my fire box and have not had any problems with combustion from the big box store wood. To answer your question, you are not missing out on anything with the wood you are using. The difference is in the way that they burn and not in the taste, IMO.

Thanks.  I have a 14 pound brisket in the refrigerator for an overnight smoke tonight.  I was planning 4 oz hickory and 1 - 2 oz Apple.  My very first brisket.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »
What are your assumptions on how these companies sell higher moisture content wood?  Sell it greener, steam treat it?
I'm not really sure but my feeling is that the wood went through some kind of drying process or was very old. Since my initial testing I took some of the chunks with low readings and split them thinking that the drying was on the surface. I retested them and came up with 1% again. The local Maple that I use were in log length and were about 2 years old. I cut    1 1/2" sections, split them, stripped the bark and tested them. They all were at 20%. From what I've read so far is that once wood has dried out it is very difficult to restore moisture beyond the surface. I think it has more to do with the environment that the wood is stored and processed in.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Please do, Al!   I am not surprised about the HD wood...others have commented about the low moisture in the big box stores, which leads to combustion when you try to smoke with it.   I have a made couple of purchases from MGW with good results ... great smoke, no combustion.  I will be curious to hear about their moisture content.  Thanks.
I spoke with a sales rep. from MGW this morning and she gave me the following info...
Their wood is controlled to 12% moisture in order to prevent mold. When wood is at  20% and above it is considered green and is highly susceptible to mold without proper storage.
Wood in this range can be purchased from them via a phone call and they stress that any mold development is the buyers responsibility. Instead of shipping in plastic bags the wood is shipped in cardboard boxes. I placed an order and will see how it goes.

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
90% of my wood is from a neighbors yard or a local orchard.  I tend to only buy wood varieties that aren't locally grown. 

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »
90% of my wood is from a neighbors yard or a local orchard.  I tend to only buy wood varieties that aren't locally grown.
My only steady supply is Maple....All else is few and far between. Some guys have all the luck!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »
Wood in this range can be purchased from them via a phone call and they stress that any mold development is the buyers responsibility. Instead of shipping in plastic bags the wood is shipped in cardboard boxes. I placed an order and will see how it goes.

Interesting!  That's why Smokinlicious sells theirs in cardboard boxes, and say to store it open.  I haven't seen any hint of mold on mine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!