Author Topic: The FINAL way to do a brisket?  (Read 56258 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: The FINAL way to do a brisket?
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »
That's cool Jason...but I really want to thank you, again, for the Big Ass Spatula! ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
Guys, as an onlooker this has actually been a great discussion. As a forum we actually have a bit of a bias that "everything is always great" and if you have smoked (or cooked, or grilled) enough you know that everything is not always great. Stuff goes wrong. As such, I applaud Jason's willingness to experiment and to share his results with us all. I also understand Walt's point of view; if you are a new smoker there are a lot of very confusing options out there. Let's all get along and try and make this a great place to learn and teach each other new things.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
Let's all get along and try and make this a great place to learn and teach each other new things.

Already is, Roger, thanks to folks like you! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
I was going to post a picture of one of my shirts that states "I'm not arguing. I'm simply explaining why I'm right". I couldn't find it though. I have another one that says "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you". Oh well, I guess I'll have to troll on another post since this one has evaporated interest.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
I was going to post a picture of one of my shirts that states "I'm not arguing. I'm simply explaining why I'm right". I couldn't find it though. I have another one that says "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you". Oh well, I guess I'll have to troll on another post since this one has evaporated interest.

;D ;D ;D ;D LOL!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

prudentsmoker

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
I was asked to report on my meal at Franklin’s, needless-to-say it was great. And I just don’t mean a little bit better. 20-30% better than the best I have ever had. My wife and her aunt and uncle agreed. For those of you who don’t know, Texas Monthly declared it the best BBQ in Texas.

Some notes-
•   To place a to-go order you have to order on the first Monday of the month before the month you want to pick it up, while I know many of you would not do this, I was really curious
•   You then have to pick it up between 10 and 10:30
•   Brisket is $20/lb.
•   The guy in front of me spent $244, I spent $100. They have got to be raking it in.
•   Got there at 10:15 (traffic was bad) and there were at least 100 people sitting around in lawn chairs, many drinking beer, generally having a good time
•   When I left at 10:45 they were starting to line up, it is not a large place
•   I had to park two blocks away
•   Still had to wait half an hour, they slice it up when you show up

They keep the meat in metal cabinets, which I assume are heated, and wrapped in foil. I have only done one brisket in my #3 and really want to try another. I am going to foil it this time around 150. I really think this could be what makes it so moist.
Brian from Wichita

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
I was asked to report on my meal at Franklin’s, needless-to-say it was great. And I just don’t mean a little bit better. 20-30% better than the best I have ever had. My wife and her aunt and uncle agreed. For those of you who don’t know, Texas Monthly declared it the best BBQ in Texas.

Some notes-
•   To place a to-go order you have to order on the first Monday of the month before the month you want to pick it up, while I know many of you would not do this, I was really curious
•   You then have to pick it up between 10 and 10:30
•   Brisket is $20/lb.
•   The guy in front of me spent $244, I spent $100. They have got to be raking it in.
•   Got there at 10:15 (traffic was bad) and there were at least 100 people sitting around in lawn chairs, many drinking beer, generally having a good time
•   When I left at 10:45 they were starting to line up, it is not a large place
•   I had to park two blocks away
•   Still had to wait half an hour, they slice it up when you show up

They keep the meat in metal cabinets, which I assume are heated, and wrapped in foil. I have only done one brisket in my #3 and really want to try another. I am going to foil it this time around 150. I really think this could be what makes it so moist.

I knew you had to order at least $100.00 to pre-order, but thought you could order the same week. It sounds like you need to order a month in advance?

Thanks for the report, I will be in Austin later this year and plan to give it a go!

Greg

prudentsmoker

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
You are most welcome and I am fairly sure you won't be disappointed.
Brian from Wichita

RG

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
From what he (Franklin) has said, he breaks even on the brisket. He serves Snake River Farms PRIME brisket that costs him a fortune. He figures that while you are there eating the main attraction that you'll order the other offerings that he DOES make money on. Must be working!

prudentsmoker

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
Well that would explain why is was exceptionally good. Thanks for sharing.
Brian from Wichita

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »

DivotMaker

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »
http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/brisket/american-kobe-gold-grade-wagyu-brisket.html

Wow.  I can only drool at the thought of smoking/grilling their offerings!  200 bones for a brisket would probably get me evicted. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »
http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/brisket/american-kobe-gold-grade-wagyu-brisket.html

First I want to try the Franklin Brisket, then maybe get donations from my neighbors to try one of these babies :)

Greg

Wow.  I can only drool at the thought of smoking/grilling their offerings!  200 bones for a brisket would probably get me evicted. :(