Author Topic: Salt & Pepper smoked salmon filets  (Read 5043 times)

jbauch357

Salt & Pepper smoked salmon filets
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
Completed my first smoke on the SI #2 today.  I'll call it a partial success, as it is the best texture of any smoked salmon I've ever made, but it was lacking smoke flavor - we'll get to that part later.

Here is the brine:
2 cups hot water
3 Tbsp kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp pickling spices
Mix above until dissolved, add 2 cups ice cubes to cool

Basically we made the above brine, then removed the pin bones from 3 packs (about 3 sockeye filets) of sockeye, cut into 2-3 inch sections, and then placed the fish into the brine in the fridge.  I use a small cooler for my brine bucket, so far it's worked for everything from fish filets to wild boar hams.

About 18hrs later I removed the fish from the brine, rinsed thoroughly, cut off the fat (afterthought, which I'll be doing before the brine from now on, it gets tough and rubbery which detracts from the quality of the meat itself), re-rinsed, patted dry, then let sit in the sun for a bit over an hour to form the pellicle.  I also added fresh ground pepper medley on top of the fish prior to placing in the smoker.

I preheated my SI #2 with the door open until smoke was heavy, then I closed the door and let the Auber take control set to 140.  For about 30 min I got good smoke but the heat from the chips alone brought the temp up over 150 (the Auber was off the whole time, it knew the temp spike was coming) so I cracked the door for a minute to bleed off some heat.  From there I let it continue to self-manage at the 140 setting, which eventually meant good temp hold but no smoke.  After an hour I bumped the temp up to 145 which got the element and chips hot enough to smoke again, not heavy, but enough to see. 

After two hours I checked the firmness and everything was done.  The texture is honestly pretty amazing.  You can't pick up a whole piece because it flakes and breaks apart, but it is still dripping juicy and fantastically tender.  The thinner pieces took on a bit more salt flavor than I'd like, but the thicker are about right - all of them are a bit short on pepper so I'll probably add some ground pepper to the brine next time, and maybe back off on the salt a little.

The main part that I'm disappointed with is the lack of smoke flavor.  The SI #2 simply does too good of a job of retaining heat for the elements and chips to stay hot enough to produce smoke at 140 degrees.  Towards the end of the smoke I put a small box fan under the smoker to move extra air, but I think it was too little too late. 

Next time I'm not going to pre-heat, but will program stepped temps times in so that it slowly increases the temperature and hopefully keeps the chips hot enough to continue smoking.  Being it only took 2hrs total for the fish, I think I'll start at 125 and bump up 5 degrees every 30 min, ending at 140 for 30 min.

EDIT: I just found out about the cold smoke plate, I'll be adding that with a tray of ice chips next time to see if that keeps temps down and smoke production up.

Here is a pic of a portion of the final product, we had already eaten a few pieces.  There was a little bit of fat boil during the one temp spike, but it only affected a couple pieces, and the fat is easy to scrape off leaving behind pristine meat.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:25:53 PM by jbauch357 »
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Salt & Pepper smoked salmon filets
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »
I usually put my chips toward the back of the smoke box as I have found that it is hotter toward the back of the smoke box.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jbauch357

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:17:48 AM »
Opposite on mine, front edge is the hottest part of my chip box with the back side being considerably cooler.  When I put in the big hunks the front ones are ash when the back ones are just starting to catch.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Josh, the cold plate definitely makes a difference. I would not hesitate to eat those good looking fillets though. Nicely done on the inaugural smoke!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
Sounds like a success, Josh!  You'll refine as you go; it's all about learning your craft!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:53 PM »
Josh, you surprised me there. I think it is unusual that the front of the firebox is the hot spot.  Just makes me wonder if the box time to heat and temperature measure differently.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »
Can chunks be used for Salmon smoking or are chips needed/recommended?

jbauch357

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »
Chips were barely letting off any smoke at 140 degrees, I can't imagine something as large as a chunk would produce any usable amount of smoke at low temps.  Although, if you have the cold smoke plate, chunks might work?

1stlink

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »
Thanks Josh, I suspected that to be the answer.. I just bought some salmon and will pick up some chips locally or modify my alder chunks in a big way.

Limey

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
I think that you guys should look at an external smoke generator as a supplement to your SIs. That way you can separate the heat generation from the smoke generation. I use a Smoke Daddy mounted to my S3 and successfully smoke cheese in ambient temperatures of up to 90 degrees.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

1stlink

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:41 AM »
 Definitely a consideration Roger.  I have seen your set up online in another thread and it looks good  but I do not plan on smoking cheese only fish and I'm not sure that the smoke generator is necessary for my purpose.