Author Topic: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success  (Read 17420 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
First attempt at smoked salmon was a success
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »
Today was my first try of smoked salmon and I do have to say I was very happy with the results. I tried some Alaskan sockeye (1.7lb) and some farm raised atlantic salmon (2 small fillet chunks probably about .75 lb total). I did a dry brine mix of:

1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup demerara sugar (just because I ran out of brown sugar)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper

Coated fillets in ~1/4" brine mix within tupperware containers, wrapped saran wrap over brined fillets and another layer over the container holding them, rested ~11 hours overnight in fridge. Then I rinsed fillets, pat dry with paper towels and sliced into serving size portions, and placed them on wire rack to form pellicle. Let them form pellicle in fridge for 2-4 hours.

Prepared smoker with 2.25 ounces of alder(majority), apple, and hickory chips. Bought some real maple syrup and poured some into a basting pan for brushing onto fillets hourly during smoke session. Smoked ~100º-125º for first 2 hours, then ~140º-145º for the next 2 hours, and 175º till finished (1 or 2 hours more). Let internal temps of fish get between 130º and 142º and then pulled. I ended up using my cold plate about halfway through the smoke just to get some more smoke going without the heat. Not sure how necessary this is or was but I didn't get any albumin (white ooze). The key to this is gently bringing up the heat and having a good pellicle to start with.

Pics are below and let me tell you... the flavor of this was superb! The maple sweetness mixing with the smokiness and softness of the salmon inside just melts in your mouth like candy.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

Re: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
Looks great, Tony. I have been meaning to try these for a while and you have motivated me. Thanks for the detailed recipe.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
the fish looks great, nice color and obviously your temp was perfect. However I am wondering about your cure, are those numbers correct? A total of 2 cups sugar, cut with 1/2 cup salt?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:43 AM »
I love to make salmon and yours looks great Tony. I agree that the pellicle makes a big difference. I used to use hickory and apple also and now I find I like just the milder apple.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »
the fish looks great, nice color and obviously your temp was perfect. However I am wondering about your cure, are those numbers correct? A total of 2 cups sugar, cut with 1/2 cup salt?

Yep, got the recipe idea from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8au0YcONM&feature=youtu.be

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
I tried some yesterday and it was awesome after sitting overnight in the fridge. I'm definitely making some of this again down the road.

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »
Thanks Tony for the well described smoke. Another one for my list. I'm thinking that the Demerara Sugar may actually have been a better choice for this rub recipe than the called for Brown sugar. Nice touch with the maple syrup also..
Congrats..  :)

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
Hey Tony, which kind of salmon did you like better? Personally I like farm raised or wild caught better. Sock eye and the others always seem  more gamey to me.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
Personally I like farm raised or wild caught better

You can buy blackberries grown and picked on a farm or blackberries grown and picked in the wild. The same applies to salmon. How do you like both options better?
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
Your right Brian, that does sound strange. Let me clear it up and make it simple. I don't like red salmon like sockeye and steelhead. I like Chinook and Atlantic farm raised.

If its orange I buy it, if it's red I don't.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:58:15 AM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »
OK thanks, that is more clear.
- Sigmund Freud

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »
Your right Brian, that does sound strange. Let me clear it up and make it simple. I don't like red salmon like sockeye and steelhead. I like Chinook and Atlantic farm raised.

If it orange I buy it, if it's red I don't.
Very clear now. My wife loves salmon but I'm not an admirer. Smoking it may be the answer though. Tony's looks great and I'm going to take a look see the next time I'm in Costco.. they always have salmon but I'm not sure what they sell (red/orange?).

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »
I think I do like the farm raised salmon better but I think both are pretty good. I have more frozen so I'll have to thaw it and eat more in the coming weeks to decide if it's worth switching to one or the other on the next batch. If I'm indifferent I may just buy whatever is cheaper and go with it.

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
As you know...it's all a matter of taste. I'm glad you tried both. As I was writing this, my wife brought in an add from a local market. Wild Alaskan salmon from the Yukon River. Regularly 7.99 lb on sale for $3.99. Will be checking that out tomorrow.

I smoked half a salmon yesterday that came out fantastic. Farm raised and excellent quality. Smoked salmon is probably my wife's favorite dish. Quality fish makes a huge difference. I even tried that frozen chinese salmon from Walmart once. Wasn't to good.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
I'm not sure I'd ever buy salmon from walmart. Especially if I would have known it was frozen chinese salmon. You sir are very brave! Definitely try that wild alaskan salmon though! Let us know how it goes.

Tony from Marion, IA