Author Topic: Brownulated sugar  (Read 10538 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Brownulated sugar
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
I may order some of this and give it a try, looks like you would want around 1 or 2 percent for the rub. Looks like a 1 lb is around $17.00.

http://www.americanspice.com/silicon-dioxide/
Product Description

Silicon Dioxide Powder is vital because its porous structure allows it to absorb moisture and prevent clumping and binding of ingredients, with which it is combined. From flour for baking and cereal mixes to home-made seasoning and spice blends, Silicon Dioxide is a “magic powder” that can improve the quality of all your projects. Why search any further for this hard-to-find item? Our customers agree that American Spice Company can deliver exactly what you need with the best customer service. Stock up on Silicon Dioxide today.

Usage:
Used as an anti-caking agent. When using Silicon Dioxide, add less than 2% by weight.
Ingredients:
Silicon Dioxide

Silicon Dioxide Safety

Silica is not digested or absorbed in the intestinal tract, which means it poses no risk of toxicity. Silicon dioxide is "generally recognized as safe" -- or GRAS -- by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Although kidney stones may form with consumption of massive amounts of silica over a long period, the amount of silica in food, pharmaceuticals and supplements is not significant enough to cause stone formation or other side effects.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
I think, I may give this a try since it adds no chemicals to the rub.

1 Gram Pack of 100 "Dry&Dry" Silica Gel Packets Dehumidifier (7.99 on amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Pack-Silica-Packets-Dehumidifier/dp/B00DNRI6HQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1427828209&sr=8-14&keywords=Silicon+Dioxide

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »
On my rubs with brown sugar I use the ninja food processor to mix the rub spices and brown sugar together. When I have leftovers I put them in a tall pizza shaker or sugar shaker glass. Then I put that in a plastic baggie and into the freezer. I think the freezer helps keep it from clumping badly.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:27 PM »
The silica gel packets sounds like an interesting possibility. Might try that. I'll pass on the powder which is the same that's in the gel packets.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mizzoufan

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
I thought my large batches of rub would last at least a year too...until I got my #2.  Since then I've done a brisket, 3 boston butts, 4 racks of ribs and 3lbs of meatloaf...all in ~2 weeks. 

I have been using my base rub for everything, just adding about 1/3 dalmation rub for the brisket.  I'm going to have to do something else for ribs though, it's a bit on the warm side (to me, anyway) on ribs since it's more concentrated.
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I guess I just don't get all the fuss over brown sugar. ???   I've used it for years, and have never even thought about clumping being a "problem."  I just break the clumps, or put in a container (when I mix a rub) and give it some good shakes.  Problem solved, rub the meat and done!  Next time I use it, shake a bit, and good to go again.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
I guess I just don't get all the fuss over brown sugar. ???   I've used it for years, and have never even thought about clumping being a "problem."  I just break the clumps, or put in a container (when I mix a rub) and give it some good shakes.  Problem solved, rub the meat and done!  Next time I use it, shake a bit, and good to go again.

It's really just me, I am really picky about cooking baking, smoking, heck maybe everything.

For my next rub batch I am experimenting with Brownulated sugar and  Turbinado sugar mix.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
Looking forward to your results, Greg!  Nothing wrong with being "picky!" ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!