Author Topic: Brownulated sugar  (Read 10540 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Brownulated sugar
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
Has anyone tried to replace their brown sugar in their rubs with  Brownulated sugar?

It looks like it would not clump like BS does?

Thanks Greg

Limey

Re: Brownulated sugar
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
What is Brownulated sugar?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Brownulated Brown Sugar, a free-flowing brown sugar that does not clump or harden.

Brownulated® Sugar is made from brown sugar and cane caramel color and can be used in equivalent cup measurements as regular brown sugar, but due to lack of moisture content it may produce a slightly different texture as compared to recipes made with regular brown sugar.

I noticed so folks were using this in their rubs to get rid of the clumping with brown sugar.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
I use brown sugar, but I also have a Ninja food processor that I use to mix up the rub ingredients -- makes a nice smooth rub.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »
I use brown sugar, but I also have a Ninja food processor that I use to mix up the rub ingredients -- makes a nice smooth rub.

I am looking at making some up for gifts and would like to have it so it does not clump. When you mix it with the food processor does it fix the clumping problem?

Thanks Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
Yes, I add one ingredient at a time and mix.  When finished, I have no clumps in the rub.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
Yes, I add one ingredient at a time and mix.  When finished, I have no clumps in the rub.

Thanks Steve,

I will give it a shot!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »
Love the idea of giving gifts of custom rubs. Thanks.

I have used Turbinado sugar many times. It's good, but I prefer regular brown sugar.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:24:31 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »
Love the idea of giving gifts of custom rubs. Thanks.

I have used Turbinado sugar many times. It's good, but I prefer regular brown sugar.

Arnie,

Good to know I will stick with the brown sugar and try the food processor trick!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
Steve,
I believe that Greg might be speaking about rub becoming solid in the jar after sitting for long periods of time.  With high concentrations of brown sugar, I would expect some hardening even with a food processor mix.  Probably like garlic or onion powder in humid climates. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
Steve,
I believe that Greg might be speaking about rub becoming solid in the jar after sitting for long periods of time.  With high concentrations of brown sugar, I would expect some hardening even with a food processor mix.  Probably like garlic or onion powder in humid climates.

Steve,

Yes are correct, I would to store the rub in jars and have it last 3-4 months. Any thoughts without adding chemicals?

Greg

mizzoufan

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »
I make large batches (~3/4 gallon at a time) and store it in a big pretzel container.  I tend to spread the brown sugar out on a cookie sheet for a day or two, mixing and re-spreading once a day.  That pulls most of the moisture out without making it rock hard.  Then I mix up everything in a large bowl and run through the food processor (usually takes several loads) and once it's all in the pretzel container, I shake it up for a few minutes to ensure I didn't get too much of something in one of the food processor loads. 
I've kept it that way for up to 8 months with no issues.  Any clumps are soft and easily removed just by shaking before use.
Steven from KCMO

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
I make sure all my rubs are stored in a big enough container to be able to shake the heck out of it before using. That way I avoid clumps. Before I got wise to that when I was using smaller containers that were near full, there was not enough room to give it a good shake so some clumps remained. Also, I stopped putting the rubs in the frig and just leave them in my kitchen cabinet. That helps also. Brown sugar gets hard in the frig.

Wow! 3/4 gallon of rub. That's enough rub to last me for a long...long...longggggggg time!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »
Arnie,

Good idea, maybe I will just only fill the rubs half full that way, folks can shake before smoke!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
I found this on another site and thought it might be worth a shot.

Dry brown sugar - Yes dry it out. To dry brown sugar spread it out on a pan and turn your oven to the lowest setting. Put the pan with the sugar in it for about 30 minutes. Stir it at least once while it is drying. You will probably have to break up some lumps once it is dry. Drying the brown sugar will keep the rub from clumping up.

Greg