Author Topic: cutting your own wood to smoke  (Read 9052 times)

jpittssr

Re: cutting your own wood to smoke
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »
Other than some whiskey barrel I doubt I will buy wood again. I have a 100 pounds of sugar maple from one of my trees that was recently trimmed. I have access to hickory, black walnut, mulberry and apple on properties I hunt.  One of the reasons I went with SI is it doesn't need special pellets or pucks. On long smokes with a borrowed Bradley I would burn $6 in pucks. That adds up quick. At that rate my #3 (and shipping) is paid for after 100 smokes.

In regards to your sugar maple, do you use any with bark on?
I have some but have not used yet.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I haven't used my wood yet I am nearly out of the SI. My thoughts on the bark were, If it comes off easily I will pull it. Otherwise I will smoke the bark too. When we were kids my father had us taste the branch when cutting marshmallow sticks for roasting. This method prevented getting a bad flavor. I applied the same method to the bark and don't think there will be a problem, however I will start with a cheap batch of chicken to test the theory.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:45:42 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
If the bark is good and clean, no problem smoking it.  A lot of the chunks I've gotten from Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods has bark.  But, they thoroughly wash their wood.  Bark can harbor mold, fungus, insects, etc...  Just make sure it's cleaned well.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpittssr

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Sounds good.

thanks, Tony

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »
I've been a wood whore for a long time and all my friends know that if they prune their fruit trees to check with me.  I usually try to stick to the 1 1/2" - 2" diameter limbs and cut disks with the table saw.  When I do my cutting, I put a clean box under the saw to collect all my sawdust as well. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah