Author Topic: Max racks of ribs for SI3?  (Read 2298 times)

boog1455

Max racks of ribs for SI3?
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »
Hey guys,  searched all I could before asking but with no luck...... So here it goes.  Got 2 parties that I'm smoking for the next 2 days.  I needed to smoke 8 racks of BBs for each one.  Anyone ever done this on the SI3?  I did see where someone said the more meat they had in their SI the more steady the temp was..... Understandably.  But saw nothing as to the max amount of rib bones cooked at once.  Thought I would use all 4 racks and place them high in the cooker then give it ago...... Not so worried about temp and time,,,,, just curious if anyone had done this much meat at once.  Thanks upfront...
Joe from South Georgia

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Max racks of ribs for SI3?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
I think it is well within the capacity of a #3.  How many are you cooking for at each of the parties? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:32:30 PM »
That is only 2 racks of ribs per smoker racks, not much of a challenge for the #3. Easter I did four baby back, 3 spares, and 10 pounds of beef ribs and still had a little room left over.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

boog1455

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.... All went well. I had 26 for first party then about 33 for the next group. Actually ended up cooking 8 racks Sunday and 5 racks Sunday night...... A little overkill but rather too much than not enough. Sent home last rack with guest of honor at his retirement dinner.  Here are a couple pics.... I did the 3-2 method at 235.... Quite tasty.
Joe from South Georgia

boog1455

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
This is the after pic....
Joe from South Georgia

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
Good job, Joe!  Bet they were a big hit!

Sometime, leave the foil in the box and on the bottom of the smoker, and try our "no peeky" method.  You'll love the bark, and so little effort!  Embrace the "Lazy Q" lifestyle, brother! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!