Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs question  (Read 4183 times)

Smitty33

Baby Back Ribs question
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
Hello all, I just received my new #3, but have been using a propane smoker for years till it died.  I'm excited about perfecting my baby back ribs on my new smoker.  I've done a few quick searches, but have not found any information on using the 2-2-1 method on ribs. 

The 2-2-1 method is 2 hours in smoke, 2 hours foiled in apple juice, and 1 hour back in smoke (sauced and unwrapped).  My friends and family  think I've perfected my ribs in my old smoker.  From what I have read thus far, most of you put the ribs in the smoker for 5-6 hours and do not open the door until you remove the ribs, and the ribs are awesome! 

My question is...Has anyone used the 2-2-1 method with these smokers?  Does it work or is it even needed?  Is there a difference or does it just throw off the mojo of this great smoker?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Baby Back Ribs question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
Smitty,
I am a fellow propane guy with a new SI.  I've done ribs both ways in the new smoker and my preference is still the foil wrap.  This is entirely a personal preference question and the only way to answer it is to try both methods in the new smoker and pick what's right for you. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

aspenextreme03

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
I agree as I am a new SI owner as well.  I have done them with 5 hours no peek unfoiled and I get some nice bark and have done them the foil way as well.  Depends on how you like them but regardless it is nice not to have to mess with the wood. 
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
First off, welcome to the Smokin-It Forum from ND! When you get a chance, create a thread in the Introductions section and tell us a little bit about yourself and what brought you to us.

That being said, the guys are totally right. It is really a personal preference and you owe it to yourself to try it both ways.

I have converted to 5-6 no peak for baby backs and 6-7 hours for St Louis cut with St Louis being my favorite. I got tired of messing with foil. Now, foil is only used in my smoker to line the bottom of the smoker and the smoke box and also to wrap the finished product while it is resting in my cooler prior to eating.

I like a nice bark and just a touch of chew on my ribs verses totally fall off the bone (personal preference). My ribs are still clean to the bone, but they aren't fall apart. This is why the no peak works for me.

If you don't like or need bark and really want the ribs fall off the bone tender without as much chew, the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 are great options.

Good luck on your first smokes. Let us know if you try both methods and which one you prefer.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »
I like them both ways and both are good. Try it both ways, cook 2 racks, and see what you like. Being I am a Lazy Q'er, I don't want to touch them at all so no foil.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:18:49 PM »
You can decide for yourself, Jeremy - I encourage everyone to try both methods, so you'll know, but I'm strictly a no-foil-ever guy.  Just not needed in these tight smokers, and the bark is ten-times better not foiling.  Plus, it fits my Lazy Q lifestyle much better. ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
+1 on what Tony said!   Early on I did the 2-2-1 method, and after 3  or 4 rib smokes, I switched to the no peeky method and have not gone back.   I like the ease of the no peek method, and no mess with the foiling/apple juice.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

iluvribs

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »
+1 on what Tony said!   Early on I did the 2-2-1 method, and after 3  or 4 rib smokes, I switched to the no peeky method and have not gone back.   I like the ease of the no peek method, and no mess with the foiling/apple juice.

What temperature were they set at? Also, do you all use different temperatures for baby back vs. St. Louis style ribs? And approximate cooking times for each?
Todd from Longmont, Colorado.
Smokin-It #2, Weber Gas Grill
Spastic Golden Retriever

es1025

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
5 hours no peeking is a try and true method. Put you ribs and the first or second shelf, add a water pan, set temp to 235 and five hours later you have perfect ribs. I tried wrapping but this method is perfect.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
I also go with 235 or so for ribs, but I have only done baby backs, not St Louis.  For me, the ribs are done at 5.5 hours.   I pull them out at 4.5 hours and apply some BBQ sauce, then back in the smoker for the last hour.  This step is clearly optional, but we like applying the sauce before the ribs are done.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2