Author Topic: Pork Loin getting tough  (Read 2456 times)

dbackyard

Pork Loin getting tough
« on: August 19, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
Today I made 2 full pork loins for a crowd, didn’t turn out quite how I like it.
I had them in brine 24 hours (recipe from smokin-it book”
Seasoned with Pappy’s Choice Seasoning
2oz hickory 225deg on the 3D. (Shooting for 145deg internal)
Seared on an open grill (5 min maybe)
Taste was great but it did get tough to chew.
It was up to temp in 2 hours, was 45 min too early so I just lowered temp to 135 and let sit in smoker for 45 like that (did cool smoker down) question is.. did any part of this make it tough to chew? Should I have removed and foiled when it was up to temp?
Davey - Brookings, SD
Smokin-It Model 2D.
Smokin-It Model 3D.
Weber Q320.
Anova Precision Cooker Pro.
Anova Precision Cooker.

barelfly

Re: Pork Loin getting tough
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »
What was the final IT after the sear? You may have over shot your final target temp with the sear? I am normally shooting for a serving IT of 145 with pork, so you could have been in the well done range.

Your process is good, try adjusting your internal temp and see if that is what you are looking for. Maybe 135* IT for smoke, then sear and allow for the 10* as a serving temp. Pork Loin is lean, And I prefer it served medium, touch of pink.

Hopefully that helps for your next try.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
i don't do full loins I always cut them into thirds. I find the end sections get overcooked waiting on the middle to finish when left whole.

A five minute sear sounds a bit long that may have contributed to the texture.

If I am making loins into cured and smoked meat, like a Canadian bacon or lunch-meat I smoke to 150 IT. If I am going to serve it for sandwiches or as a meal I smoke to 135 IT and slice thin after resting.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dbackyard

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
I didn't check the temp after the sear, I guess i didn't think it would bring the center temp up at all. But maybe I didn't cool down the smoker soon enough, or not enough, it did read over 151 for sure. I guess next time i will try either a lower IT from the smoker or skip the sear to see how it looks. Would you or anybody let it sit in the smoker at a lower temp once the meat is ready for an hour? or would you foil and drop in a cooler?

What was the final IT after the sear? You may have over shot your final target temp with the sear? I am normally shooting for a serving IT of 145 with pork, so you could have been in the well done range.

Your process is good, try adjusting your internal temp and see if that is what you are looking for. Maybe 135* IT for smoke, then sear and allow for the 10* as a serving temp. Pork Loin is lean, And I prefer it served medium, touch of pink.

Hopefully that helps for your next try.
Davey - Brookings, SD
Smokin-It Model 2D.
Smokin-It Model 3D.
Weber Q320.
Anova Precision Cooker.

dbackyard

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »
This would be something to try.. 135IT. Anybody else searing a loin? maybe i could skip that. They were at 145IT in around 2 hours, 24" long but only like 2" high.

i don't do full loins I always cut them into thirds. I find the end sections get overcooked waiting on the middle to finish when left whole.

A five minute sear sounds a bit long that may have contributed to the texture.

If I am making loins into cured and smoked meat, like a Canadian bacon or lunch-meat I smoke to 150 IT. If I am going to serve it for sandwiches or as a meal I smoke to 135 IT and slice thin after resting.
Davey - Brookings, SD
Smokin-It Model 2D.
Smokin-It Model 3D.
Weber Q320.
Anova Precision Cooker.

kona77

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »
 Loins are one of my favorite smokes. Your process looks solid..
I always get 8-9lb full loins and then cut them in half.. Put in brine for 12-24 hours and then
smoke at 225 with a 145IT goal.. Usually takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours to hit 145.. I then put on some
home made sauce and put under the broiler for a 3-4 minutes. Always have good results and meat is
juicy/moist.. As others have mentioned maybe you seared too long??   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
I didn't check the temp after the sear, I guess i didn't think it would bring the center temp up at all. But maybe I didn't cool down the smoker soon enough, or not enough, it did read over 151 for sure. I guess next time i will try either a lower IT from the smoker or skip the sear to see how it looks. Would you or anybody let it sit in the smoker at a lower temp once the meat is ready for an hour? or would you foil and drop in a cooler?

An hour long for a loin is pretty long I think. But, sometimes it happens. I would foil it and put in a cooler wrapped in a towel. You will capture the drippings and could always heat the drippings with some stock and serve over to warm the loin a little if needed.

Another way, which is a bit off topic, but results are outstanding. Sous Vide process for lean cuts like a pork loin.  But, that’s for another discussion if you ever are interested.

And one thing to keep in mind, sometimes you just get a tough cut, regardless of how you prep it.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Limey

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »
I am with Brian (Pork Belly) on temperatures. I take all pork to 135 and rest it. The risk of "under cooking" commercially raised pork has been vastly overstated. If you are smoking wild pork or even backyard pork then you should certainly err on the higher side but with shop bought pork you are essentially safe at whatever temperature you prefer for taste and texture.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.