Author Topic: St. Louis Cut Ribs Experiment  (Read 2759 times)

Grampy

St. Louis Cut Ribs Experiment
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
I just got finished prepping 2 racks of St. Louis cut spareribs to smoke later on today. I decided to try a little experiment with 2 different rubs and a new BBQ sauce. One rack was coated with mustard and rubbed with Famous Dave's Rib Rub (which is my normal method).

The second rack was coated with mustard and rubbed with my modified version of Memphis Dust:
Ingredients:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoon ground oregano

I can't stand the taste or smell of rosemary or ginger used in Meathead's Memphis Dust so I substituted them with cumin and oregano.

I plan on using 3 oz of hickory and using a variation of the 3-1-1 method at 235 degrees and finishing them off with a new Bacon Chipotle  BBQ sauce from Harry and Davids that I found while on vacation in Branson, Mo. I can't wait to taste them! I'll update later this evening with the results.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:27:05 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: St. Louis Cut Ribs Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Hey Jimmy, can't wait on the results of your experiment. Did you see any shows while in Branson. I would love to see Shoji Tabuchi but understand he is book either one or two years ahead in ticket sales. I have relatives that live in Neosho, Mo. and my Uncle would take us down to Silver Dollar City when it was just crafts and you could get in for free. Also after walking for about an hour you would have seen all there was to see. That was in the early 50's.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
Well, the results are in and I have declared it a draw! I tried this experiment to try and decide if I liked Famous Dave's rib rub or my modified Memphis Dust rub the best. After consuming 2 racks of St. Louis cut spare ribs me and my family have decided we like them equally. I really thought that I would prefer one over the other but they are both outstanding rubs. I plan to add a little red pepper to the Memphis Dust recipe that I posted earlier to spice it up a little bit.

The Bacon Chipotle BBQ sauce was outstanding as well. If you are ever near a Harry & Davids it is definitely worth a try. Overall its been a great day of lazy Q!

Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:34:34 PM »
Did you see any shows while in Branson. I would love to see Shoji Tabuchi but understand he is book either one or two years ahead in ticket sales.

Bill, we did not see any shows while we were there. We were going to try and see Buckets & Boards but it wasn't playing until the day we were leaving. I remember going to Silver Dollar City as a kid but my kids are all grown up now and it was just me and the wife. We did some shopping, sight seeing, and some wine tasting. We had a really nice trip.

Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Hey Jimmy sounds like a good time, and hope the weather was nice for you all. How did the ribs turn out with the new rub and sauce? I am pretty stuck on Gates original sauce and also have been using John Henry's pecan rub as I really like it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:17:28 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
Cool, Jimmy!  Looks like a successful experiment!  Love it when FD's stands up to the competition! lol.  All kidding aside, I've tried lots of rubs (store-bought and made), but FD's is still my "go to" pork rub!  I just love the mix of sweet and spicy, and ease of buying it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!