Author Topic: ASH POLL QUESTION #1  (Read 1375 times)

EFGM

ASH POLL QUESTION #1
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
There seems to be so much discussion about ash and charcoal left after a smoke, I thought it would be interesting to look at these poll results. There will be a total of 6 questions for the complete poll. Since I don't know how to put them all into one poll, then there will be 6 polls. This is question #1 of the 6.

If you answer question 1 with
100% you should also answer #2
75%, you should also answer #3
50%, you should also answer #4
25%, you should also answer #5
And if you answered yes to #2,3,4,or 5,
You should answer #6
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:32:46 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: ASH POLL QUESTION #1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
If you'd like to do a single survey and have the data analyzed for you then consider setting it up in Survey Monkey and posting a link here.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »
Doug - The vast majority of my smokes end with all ash, or at the most thumb nail sized pieces of charcoal. I had one nasty bitter butt.  Cookshack, 1st smoke. I was adding about 3 ounces of wood each time the smoke stopped being produced.  Did that 4 times over the duration of the cook till I got the IT I wanted. A very bitter and nasty sticky mess. Inedible. Wood was predominately ash, a couple of nuggets of charcoal. I have never repeated that mistake nor experienced any bitterness in either the CS or the SI.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
David, I think you hit the nail on the head. TOO MUCH WOOD, can come from overdoing the initial amount, or by continually feeding the box. I do think your 1st smoke on the CS would be far worse than just a simple overdoing the initial amount, acknowledging everyone's smoke profile preference is different. After Brian's (Pork Belly) post the other day it just hit me.  After all the smokes that I have done in whatever brand of lazy Q smoker, I never paid a bit of attention to whether it turned to ashes or charcoal and I never had a bitter tasting piece of meat. So I just thought maybe we could gather some facts for us all to consider and if it's not necessary to do any extra things to the wood, let's take more pictures to share our hunks of goodness. To be forthcoming however, I did one time like you severely over smoke a skillet of beans. Try as I might, I could not doctor out that bitterness. For me, I think Brian's post hit me between the eyes  and your post today David, finished it up for me that I will no longer worry about boating my chunks, but do commit to staying with a good source of wood and commit to taking more pictures and Posting them. Unless these poll questions dictate further study.

Not saying anyone here did but to blame the manufacturer is just not right. Those evil stick burners who don't like lazy Q do. Just kidding, if tending those stick burners is your thing, I'm all for you, they are not evil!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:18:10 PM »
If you'd like to do a single survey and have the data analyzed for you then consider setting it up in Survey Monkey and posting a link here.

Larry, me thinks that is a little over my head and pay grade. Ha, after you did the map, I tried to do one for a small group of men and I couldn't even figure that out. My hat's off to you guys who are proficient in that area.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
Larry, me thinks that is a little over my head and pay grade. Ha, after you did the map, I tried to do one for a small group of men and I couldn't even figure that out. My hat's off to you guys who are proficient in that area.

I'm a professional computer geek, so I have been known to take it for granted.  :)  Happy to help out if I ever can...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...