Author Topic: D WiFi models and Google WiFi  (Read 1703 times)

d76

D WiFi models and Google WiFi
« on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
So I switched my home WiFi to the Google WiFi mesh network system about a year ago.  Absolutely love it except now I have this great SI Model 3D WiFi that doesn’t work with it.  Right now I have it connected by adding a second cheap Cisco router to my switch, but I’d rather not have a second router running.  Has anyone found a way to force the Google WiFi to add the smoker controller?
Dan from Illinois
Rookie SI 3D WiFi owner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: D WiFi models and Google WiFi
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
Dan - Have you checked with Steve to see if there is a way to work your smoker with google?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Metrakay

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
I believe the Google Mesh supports a guest network — maybe you could set up the guest network and put in a rule that limits it to band N or whatever the PID can handle? And then just switch your phone to the guest network when running the smoker and back to the regular network afterwards.

I have no idea what kind of rules Mesh can create, just a thought.
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

holbrookged

• Holbrook Hall
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
Anyone care to explain what the Google WiFi mesh network is, I've never heard of it?

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24:39 PM »
Anyone care to explain what the Google WiFi mesh network is, I've never heard of it?

In a traditional setup a home has a single wi-fi access point (AP) to which all wi-fi devices connect.  If you get too far away from the AP the signal can get too weak and you'll lose your connection.  In this case you can add another AP and configure it as a Repeater.  Instead of being its own network, your device will connect to whichever AP has the best signal.  Switch-over between them can be slow and there will sometimes be a momentary connectivity loss during the switch.  In both cases (a single AP or an AP and Repeater), the idea is to have a really strong signal that covers a lot of area.  This can become something of a battle-ground though.  You have your AP in your living room and your neighbor has an AP that is close to your bedroom.  You find out that your connectivity isn't great in your bedroom (because of unintended interference from your neighbor's AP), so you setup a repeater.  Now your neighbor loses connectivity in some places and has to setup their own repeater.  The circles of interference just grow in number and size.  For home use, it starts getting complicated to have more than just one AP and a Repeater, too.

A mesh network is very similar, but it sets out from the beginning with the idea being to have lots of smaller and more intelligent points of connectivity spread throughout your home.  Each point figures out the best frequency on which to operate to provide the best service.  All of the points work collectively to give you the best possible experience throughout your home.  The mesh network, theoretically, is less susceptible to interference from neighbors and also less likely to cause interference to neighbors.  They should also generally be easier to add/configure and less expensive.

https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/making-mesh-your-wi-fi/?hl=en-US

The most probable reason the PID is incompatible with mesh networks is because Google Wifi creates a single network that uses both 2.4 and 5GHz bands while the PID can only connect to 2.4GHz networks.  It's really a case of Auber being quite behind the times... there is really no excuse for them not supporting both 2.4 and 5GHz.  It's the equivalent of buying a TV today that doesn't support HDMI connections.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:31:27 PM by LarryD »
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
Thank you Larry, great explanation
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"