Author Topic: Pork grading???  (Read 2667 times)

slojoe

Pork grading???
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
This may seem a weird questioln but does pork have the same grading system as beef?  I know to only buy choice or better in beef but I haven't seen any pork butts rated, also the ribs. Any clarification would be appreciated. By the way the only store available down here in the boonies is the infamous Wallyworld and a Super 1.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pork grading???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:11:45 PM »
I have never seen pork graded for the consumer, but I believe it is graded for commercial buyers (packers, butchers).  I read somewhere that most pork in the US is graded "US1," but there's a 2 through 4 also.  I'm sure that means something to the packers, but is not passed on to the consumer.  I know it has to do with the amount of fat on the back strap. 

What matters more, with pork, is where you buy it.  WalMart tumbles their pork products (means it's infused with a salt solution), so you're paying for 10-13% salt water.  Sam's Club, on the other hand, doesn't add anything to their pork.  I've used both, and greatly prefer the pork I get without solution added.  I try to look for the cuts that are a little more pink, and are firm. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
I agree with choosing meat that has better color and texture. The only major difference I know of in pork is the heritage breeds and commercially raised. If you are spicing and pulling the meat you will likely never notice the difference. However lightly seasoned and smoked there is nothing better than a loin off a heritage breed pig. that is hormone and antibiotic free.  Find a specialty meat shop at try some.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
You're right, Brian.  The heritage stuff is amazing - IF you can find it.  The nearest place I can get it is about a 3 hour drive away, and it's pretty pricey.  Until someone gets it locally, I'll have to stick to what I get at Sam's.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

slojoe

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll just have to tough it out, nearest Sam's is a 170 mile round trip, I can sometimes get a whole wild hog but I'm not too keen on trying to smoke one of those rank ol' dudes

Walt

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
I have had good luck with wild hog.  I only take the small ones.  No more than 90lbs.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

slojoe

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
Never tried it, how do you account for the lack of fat?

Walt

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
Wrap in bacon.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 01:01:24 AM »
You could try the county fair for a whole hog. You would have to arrange for transport to the butcher but it is good meat. Another option is talk to the families that have hogs in the fair. Typically they raise a few and take the best one to fair. While it may be too late to arrange for one this year they might raise one for you next year.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud