Author Topic: Is it true???  (Read 4546 times)

slojoe

Is it true???
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
I was perusing the amazing ribs website this morning, just trying to get all info I can on electric smokers. The big dog of that site had mostly scorn for any electric. I have heard, don't know where, that electrics are not allowed in the competition circuit, if this is true, one has to wonder why, since the electric product is deemed to be inferior.  Asking for comments, opinions, and if that statement is true.  Thanks in advance.

Walt

Re: Is it true???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
I think it is like fishing.  The argument for live bait or plastic.  To me, the answer is what works best for you to produce the desired end result.  I like to catch my own bait but if the guy next to me is doing better with plastic, I'm not afraid to switch bait. 

Many old conventional smokers will view these electrics as junk, because most electrics are exactly that.  And some may view the few excellent ones like these to be  cheating.  I will continue to sleep soundly, cheating & enjoy some of the best Q I have ever eaten.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »
Meathead is not a fan of electric smokers due to the lack of a smoke ring. However, i think his web site is fun of really good informstion.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
I agree.  I love his site & he is a great source of knowledge.  I will put my brisket, useing the #2, against anyone's.  I think he is wrong WRT this electric smoker.  I believe this true for the top tier electrics.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
And to answer your original question....I have no experience with professional or competition smoking, but my understanding is electrics are not allowed. My personal opinion is, because a good one is foolproof. It takes the  "skill" out of smoking good meat. I don't agree with that sentiment, but again, I don't ever plan on entering any competitions.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

slojoe

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
  ;) Thanks I don't plan any forays into competition either, just curious. How to approach most things? Just start off slow and then taper off :D

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:15 PM »
Fortunately I posses the ability to not care what people think. If it tastes good I'm going with it, as for me and my house were sticking with SI.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
That's a good observation, Joe, and a question that will likely be answered at the same time as "Chevy or Ford?"  I enjoy Meathead's site, and there's tons of really good info there.  With that said, I'm disappointed that someone with that much Q knowledge would be so close-minded.  If it's just because you don't get a pretty pink smoke ring from an electric, that's just stupid (imo), since you don't even taste it!  I guarantee that, if blindfolded, he wouldn't know the difference, and might even like the SI BBQ better!  I know I do!

As for competition - I've been to a few BBQ contests, and was on a team in one of the Bikes, Blues & BBQ competitions in NW Arkansas.  My take on it is that starting from nothing, building a fire, and constantly monitoring it is part of the mystique, and "show," of a competition!  If I showed up with the old #2, Auber attached, and threw a butt or 2 in it, I'd probably spend the rest of the time walking around checking out everyone else!  Then, pull it before turn-in time, present it, win, and go home. ;)   It's an unfair advantage to the traditional smokers.  OK by me!  I, personally, don't have the time or patience to tend a smoker for 12+ hours; I just want the best Q I can get at the end!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:33:27 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
The problem with an electric smoker is the risk of a novice like myself showing up and beating the pros at their own game! And they probably look at it as cheating.

At the end of the day, it is the results that the SI produces that matters to me. By the way, every time I use my smoker, I feel like I won a competition. And realistically, I only compete with myself, trying to outperform my previous smokes.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »
Its funny, a guy where i work brought an offset smoker. I tried my best to convince him to buy a #2 or #3. He only want to spend $200. He says to me one day i will join the real world on bbq. I said when you produce the product that i produce you can start talking. Why do i have to tend to a fire all day when i could be spending time with my family. To me i would rather create great rubs  snd techinique and let the smoker do its things. I might have spend a bit more but you still need to monitor the it of the meat. My parting line was can you dial in your temperature at 250 for 10 hours? I can.
I think meathead should try a si smoker and he may change his tune. Btw, did you notice he want you to sign up for premium access, $20 a year.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

slojoe

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
Ed, I started out in '99 with a 7ft Tejas offset wood burner, I loved it then, but I was younger and it felt like a challenge to try and fight it for 10-12 hours, grew outta that, ya'll are right, the end result is the purpose of the cook.  :)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
I agree with Brian...let them complain while I eat good Q!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2