Author Topic: An off-topic for some Retired Military on this Site  (Read 3038 times)

SmokinTrojan

An off-topic for some Retired Military on this Site
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:49 AM »
Some of you active partners in this Forum have connected with me in the past and have a military history. Our Dad passed away 31 May at 92. He was an Air Force pilot flying a B-17 on his 7th mission back from Berlin when his crew was shot down. He spent 13 months in Stalag Luft #3 and was being moved around on D-Day. He was somewhat fluent in German and was able to read a German headline to spread the message that the "Invasion Had Started".  He eventually escaped on a forced march. Dad had an amazing military career during the Kennedy years, and then went on to Lockheed to manage their L1011 program in Europe. He would have been proud of his full military gravesite honors. Very moving and unforgettable. I respect Fairchild AFB's Wing Commander to take his Saturday to honor him, as well as the FAFB Survival School Chaplain to officiate at the last minute.  I respect everyone of these men that serve today, THEY are exceptional and they honor their predecessors!
Bob Wills
Bob's making smoke in liberty lake, wa

GeeBee

Re: An off-topic for some Retired Military on this Site
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
Bob,
Condolences on the loss of your father. I lost mine about 2 years ago. He was 1 month shy of his 90th. He was a radio operator in B 24's, shot down on a raid, was at Stalag Luft IV.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
Bob,

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you, Bob!  My Dad was also a veteran of WWII, Army Air Corps Europe (9th Air Force).  He was a glider mechanic in England with the 82nd and 101st Airborne during D-Day.  I spent 9 years as an Air Force officer, but my experience can't compare to what our Dads did in that war.  I lost mine in '97, and miss him everyday.  Thanks for sharing this with us, Bob.  That's great he was still able to get the full-honors funeral!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
Bob,
My condolences on your loss and my thoughts and prayers are also with you during this difficult time.  Your father has left a legacy behind which I can see you are proud of.  We need to take time to reflect on the sacrifices that those who serve(d) have made for our freedom.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »
My condolences Bob. The Greatest Generation gets smaller each and every day.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Big Fish

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
Thank you for his Service. I come from a long line of Military, so I can relate. Makes us real PROUD.
Grandfather Al (US Army-WW2)
My Pops (USAF-Korea)
Uncle Billy (US Army-Vietnam)
Uncle Jimmy (Marine-Vietnam)
Me (USN-Cold War)

The military gravesite honors are real chokers. Very "Very moving and unforgettable" is an understatement. I was so proud when the USAF presented me with my Pop's Burial Flag.

Shoot, I hope I didn't steal your thunder, your post just brought it all up to the surface.

All gave some - some gave all.