Author Topic: Auber for #3  (Read 4289 times)

es1025

Auber for #3
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:19 AM »
Took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Auber pid (1800 W) for the #3. Looking to minimize/eliminate the temperature swings I see today.  I plan on using the pid for a while before thinking about a bypass or toggle switch. 

I think I'll be firing up some brisket on Sunday.

Any advice on setting up the smoker temp and food temps?  I heard the instructions are ok.

Let me know

Ed
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

Re: Auber for #3
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
Ed, I purchased another 6lb flat yesterday.  I like the brine & inject method outlined in my earlier post.  I think you will love it if you try.  Today I will place in an equilibrium brine & let sit for 2 days.  After that I will inject with a garlic mojo rub with mustard, cane syrup & rub & let sit as long as you like.  I usually let sit for 2 or 3 more days.  I also put some cider vinegar in to help break down & tenderize.
If you know what your cooking with enough advance notice, this is easy and produces the absolute best brisket I have ever had.  Give it a try & let me know what you think.  You won't be disappointed.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

es1025

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Walt, is 2 days the maximum time for this brine? I read the recipe, I was thinking of injecting with beef broth, not a huge fan of too much garlic. I like the approach. 2 days then another day ir two then smoke.
I dont believe you wrapped the brisket?
Ed from Northern NJ

Walt

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »
Its an equilibrium brine so it can't overbrine.  2 days should be plenty to allow the brine to reach equilibrium.  Tony has a detailed write up about it.  Its easy to do just plug the brisket weight into Martin's formula. Use whatever flavors you like in the injection that shouldn't change the final outcome.

I don't wrap anything in foil until the cooking is complete for anything.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Big Fish

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »
Let me know how that Auber thingy works out for you. I'm thinking about buying one. Another one of Divot's "suggestions." I let him do all the work, thanks bud!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:15:49 PM by Big Fish »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
Congrats on the plunge, Ed!  Folks moving to a PID is kind of like your parents getting their first smart phone!  They're scared of it until they get it, but then you wish they wouldn't text you 120 times a day once they figure it out!!  Hehehe!  Let me know if I can help!  Technology is an amazing thing!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »
Big Fish, I'll let you know. DM does a good job spending other people money lol!!  BTW, you wont regret your purchase, these smokers are really good. 

DM, the Auber is really like HDtv you get to zone in on certain things like temp. The smartphone thing not so much lol...

Who wins the US Open? DJ?
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
The HDTV is a better analogy, Ed!  I don't look at it so much as spending other people's money (although that is a lot of fun!), as I do encouraging others to give a little of theirs in return for SOOO much future pleasure!  Haha!  Wait, that doesn't sound very good, does it?? :o

The Open's anyone's game this year, without Tiger!  I'd like to see Speith make a run at it!  That kid's going to be great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
DM
once I set the parameters is there a button I need to press to start the cycle. I read the direction from Ben and auber and can found nothing.
please help.
Ed from Northern NJ

GeeBee

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »
Ed,
I usually unplug my Auber from the unit while I program it. Once I've got the program set, I turn off the power switch on the back (it will "remember" the program). Then I plug the unit back into the Auber. When I'm ready to start cooking, turn on the power switch on the Auber, stand back and be amazed. Hope this helps.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Ed, Gary's right about the programming - it "remembers" its last program.  I keep my Auber in the house, so I just plug it in before cooking (still in the kitchen) and program it.  You don't need probes attached to program it.  Then, get it plugged into the smoker, load the meat, and hit the power switch.  Bam!  You're off and running!
Tony from NW Arkansas