Author Topic: Meat placement  (Read 2418 times)

es1025

Meat placement
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
I will be having some friends over on memorial day and want to smoke some ribs and either a butt or brisket.

What rack should I use for the ribs and what rack for the butt.

I have a number 3.  Rack 1 is the top of the smoker and rack 5 is on the bottom.

Thoughts?

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Meat placement
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:28 AM »
I usually use the highest rack that I can that will allow for 2-3 inches from the top of the smoker. The temps at the top of the smoker will be a lot more consistent than the lower racks.

I think I had asked the question a couple of months ago and this is the answer that I received and it makes sense to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Meat placement
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
Gregg's right.  I got that answer from Auber when installing the permanent probe, and have verified it on my own.  To answer your question about the ribs/butt together, I think I would put the ribs on the highest shelf or shelves (depending on how many you're doing), and the butt or briskie on the lower shelf as high as possible.  Not sure that it would really make much difference, but I don't think I would want the massive amount of dripping from a butt all over my ribs.  Might taste great, but would probably hurt the appearance for my guests...presentation counts! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!