Author Topic: Looking for a cut of meat  (Read 2670 times)

GeeBee

Looking for a cut of meat
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
I need help from you Costco or Sams Club shoppers. I'm looking for a specific cut of meat. I'm looking for a sirloin flap steak. In the NAMP Meat Buyers Guide, this would be cut # 185A. Here in Podunk Ohio, I have limited access to butchers shops. The three I did visit all said they couldn't get it and one was even rude about it. You guys rave about the Sams and Costco butchers shops, so I thought maybe the next time you're there, you could check it out for me. Thanks for any help.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Looking for a cut of meat
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure that, at least with Sam's club, some of the meat suppliers are different in different parts of the country. What's available elsewhere may not be available where you are.
In my area, brisket is never available at Sam's Club and, in general, their meat sucks!!!!
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure that, at least with Sam's club, some of the meat suppliers are different in different parts of the country. What's available elsewhere may not be available where you are.
In my area, brisket is never available at Sam's Club and, in general, their meat sucks!!!!

Go figure...I push Sam's meat because the quality at mine is outstanding!  Of course, Sam's HQ is located in NW AR, so there might be a chance we have the "showcase" clubs here.  Lucky me! ;)

I don't know if they do a lot of "custom" cuts like the sirloin flap steak, but I'll ask this weekend when I'm there.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:45:10 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »
You got me on the flap steak, Gary, so I just had to do a little research!  I guess you like this for fajitas?  It appears similar to skirt or flank steak, but is from the bottom sirloin and is sometimes called beef loin tips.  I can get tri-tip roasts and steaks from my Sam's all the time, and they usually have skirt and flank steak, but I've never seen this cut.  Here's a link for you all to see it, and the link below is from the CA beef council on Cut 185 (safe to download):

http://copfaqs.com/meatfaqs-053-flapmeat.htm

I wish they had this, as I love anything from the bottom sirloin!  Bet it tastes great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
Tony, you're close. They say this cut is great for any south of the border recipe, and apparently it's very popular in California. I have a great recipe for Grilled Sirloin Tips using this cut of meat. A lot of people will try to sell you skirt or flank steak in place of this cut, and tell you they are the same. They most definitely are not.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
Interesting, Gary!  I was just guessing at fajitas. ;)   I'm going to have to look for this, as I've never heard of it before.  I guess it's kind of like people saying skirt and flank steak is interchangeable, but they are definitely different.  So, I can imagine this cut also has a distinct difference from those as well.
Tony from NW Arkansas