Author Topic: How did you find out about Smokin-It?  (Read 35385 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
How did you find out about Smokin-It?
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
I think user-input on how we came upon Smokin-It could really help Steve grow his great company.  I researched smokers for about the last year, and finally just "happened" upon these!  I'm not even sure how I found the website now - I was on one of those manic Google/Bing trips, going from link to link, and literally just stumbled upon it!

Hopefully, we can get lots of users to chime-in on how they found Smokin-It, and hopefully this will help these guys get more exposure and feedback on what's working, and what's not with their advertising.

Any marketing ideas out there? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

Re: How did you find out about Smokin-It?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
I was searching google for electric smokers.  Found a bunch of electric smoker reviews.  Saw the cast of characters you know who they are.  I kept see smokin-it.  I searched amazon, good reviews, found the smokin-it web site around super bowl sunday.  I then started reading as much info on smokin-it.  I ended up emailing Steve about some extra goodies (missed the valentine's day sale), he told me to sit tight for a while. I kept reading this forum and then I read a post on smokingmeatforums from old sarge, who indicated Steve was giving away a free cover, rib hooks, and cord holder with the purchase of a #3.  I also asked a bunch of questions of your guys, and finally in early May pulled the trigger.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
Good info, Ed!  Thanks for the input.  I don't know how I missed it for so long.  I was probably just "looking past" it because it was such an unknown, and different from all the "usual suspects" on Amazon and the like.  When I finally did research it, I ended up ordering direct - much better price than Amazon.  It's great they're on Amazon, but it'd be great to see a lot more traffic driven straight to their website! 

I just did a quick search on Bing for "electric smokers," and Smokin-It.com isn't ranking anywhere on the first 2 pages!  Some SEO is definitely needed.  I think they could build their rankings fast with just a little more effort. 

Hope Ben and Steve aren't offended by my analysis - just trying to help!  I know how it is to get your site ranked - it requires lots of little content changes, and good SEO to drive it to the top (or at least first page).  This forum needs to be searchable; tons of keywords in here that would help rankings.  Just my 2 cents...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Spresso

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Funny I was dead set against electric smokers until maybe 4-5 months ago.  I know a few people who have them like the MES and the BRadley. POS both i`m sorry to say.   They always seem to have something broken or out of pucks or needing 90 minutes to reach temperature etc....
I was ready to buy a Kamado style smoker when i read a post about the Smokin-It on the smokingmeatforums
Intrigued, i read every last word ever posted on it  ::) 
then decided that it was actually good quality and I would be happy with it.....
Tomorrow my second attempt !!!
I got 2 shoulders , both 3.5lbs. just in case  ;D
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
Good info, Zed!  Hope your shoulders go as planned!  Hmmm...so cross-posting on other forums got you here?  Ben, you getting this?   :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:28 AM »
The best way to spread the word is to join many forums not specific to a particular brand, and give your honest opinion to those with questions on what to buy or problems with what they already have. The important thing to remember is we all had questions and doubts in the beginning so never make anyone feel foolish. Maybe even PM a few folks.  It is sort of like going to work, with this site being your home. You go out, answer a few posts, make a few comments, come home at the end of the day. It helps to keep the same name on all sites so folks can follow you if they so desire.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
Maybe I should tell everyone about    http://www.letstalkbbq.com

This forum is dedicated to outdoor cooking on all types of equipment. I am a global moderator over there and would love to see you hang out. Very friendly non-combative atmosphere....kinda like here  :D We even post about our bad cooks  :o

There is a thread dedicated to electric smokers...so come on over.....spread the news about your Smokin-It smoker.

Just be sure to come home at the end of the day  ;)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
I have used the same moniker of that site as well as smoking meats. Before this year, Smokin-it did not have a forum so spreading the word was pretty much "missionary work" in that one had to go forth.  It still works but with Smokin-it having their very own forum, life is good.   It would be good to see some nice videos from those with the talent and equipment posted on youtube.  There are a few but they are somewhat dated. Me?  I am sort of crippled in the camera area.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
I will freely (and gratefully) admit that posters on other sites, Old Sarge and Chef Willie chief among them, were a definite influence on my purchase and Sarge's point on spreading the word in a grassroots manner is spot on.

I was down between the Cookshack SM009-2 and the SmokinTex 1400 when I saw a lot of chatter about the Smokin-It models.  Since I'm an analog smoker living in a digital world, and since the #3 was at a better price point than the others with increased capacity it was a no-brainer.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
I did a lot of research toggling between charcoal, propane, and electric.    My research was mostly through watching a lot of youtube videos.   I wanted a smoker that I could use on my deck and I felt that charcoal (Weber SM) was too risky, and I could not get definitive answer on whether propane would be too hot on a wooden deck, so I decided to go electric.  I saw a lot of electric smoker youtube videos on products other than smokin-it, but the reviews on those products were less than stellar.  Literally at the last minute, and I don't know how it happened, I found references to smokin-it.  Every review that I found on the product raved about the units, so a quick call to Steve to confirm that the unit would work on a wood deck, and then I placed the order.   And I could not b happier with the result!

I think Steve et al would do well to have a few folks put up some youtube videos using the smokin-it..I did see a couple that were pretty good, but the other electric smoker companies have dominated the youtube scene.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
This is great stuff, guys!  Exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread! ;D   I appreciate everyone's participation in how the "moment" happened!  Like swthorpe, I don't know how it happened, either.  I was literally days away from ordering a different brand when I found Smokin-It!  So glad I did, but sure wish I could remember exactly where I found out about it!

Thanks again, and keep it coming!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

This forum is dedicated to outdoor cooking on all types of equipment. I am a global moderator over there and would love to see you hang out. Very friendly non-combative atmosphere....kinda like here  :D We even post about our bad cooks  :o

There is a thread dedicated to electric smokers...so come on over.....spread the news about your Smokin-It smoker.

Hey Smoke - just registered!  How's about greasing that "approval" email! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »

Hey Smoke - just registered!  How's about greasing that "approval" email! ;)

Did you sign up as divotmaker??

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »
Ditto here ... I submitted as "UWFSAE" a bit after noon CST today if you're going to be greasing the wheels of progress, Smoke.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
I tipped off the admin's that we got some folk coming aboard  ;)