Author Topic: King Salmon Smoke  (Read 7252 times)

ND PHOTOGUY

King Salmon Smoke
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
    Did a King Salmon smoke this morning from my trip up to Alaska this past July. It was a fairly small amount of fish, but I kind of like doing it like that...smaller amounts as I need it.
    My brine consisted of four parts dark brown sugar to one part kosher salt. I place ed the salmon in a ceramic dish and covered the pieces completely with the mixture. It is then covered with plastic wrap and placed in the refrigerator overnight. It's amazing, it all goes into the fridge dry, but comes out looking like it's sitting in brown liquid tar. Well, it's then rinsed off in cold water and set at room temp for 90 minutes to form its pellicle. Into the smoker with 2.4oz of apple at 190 degrees for approximately 2 hours bringing it up to an internal temp of 155 degrees. It's then glazed with some pure maple syrup and ready to go! I did a little taste test (as I normally do) and it was excellent! This series of photos follows this King Salmom from the waters of the Nushagak River in Alaska to my kitchen counter. On to the next smoke...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:21:48 PM by ND PHOTOGUY »
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: King Salmon Smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »
Wow!  Great job, Ken!   I am planning to try salmon soon and your process looks like the perfect plan.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »
Ken, I do not care for the taste of salmon but that is a nice catch!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Looks awesome Ken!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
Very Nice!
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
Beautiful fish, Ken!!  Nice job! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I've learned so much from all the forum members in a short period of time. I'm having a blast so far!
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »
Posts like this are what we live for, Ken!  Sure glad to have you in the family! :D   Keep it coming!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »
Ken, that is exactly the same way I do my salmon. Same brine ingredients/proportions, timing, drying and smoking temp. The only thing I experiment with is the internal temperature. My favorite is to pull it at about 135. Still really moist and fatty at 135. Last time I smoked it to 145, which seems to be a common temp on this forum and elsewhere. A little more firm than 135, but still delicious. You are fortunate to have salmon from Alaska. King is by far the best. I used to order Yukon River King Salmon from FishEx (Alaska seafood company), but it has gotten way too expensive. Often around $50/lb...when you can get it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:11:21 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
    Kari, I can't take credit for the brine, or the whole process for that. I came across this particular process while doing a YouTube search last year. I came across several different brines that I tried, but this was the one that really caught my taste buds attention. 
    Yes, these King Salmon have an amazing taste. They literally melt in your mouth. I've been very fortunate to be able to travel up there these past two years. Season limit on Kings is four fish, but at their size, I end up coming home with about 50lbs of fillets. More than enough to keep my Model#1 and Weber grill busy for the coming year!  😀
    PS: by the way, our guide Brent (pictured in the photo behind me) is a middle school teacher/coach from Wisconsin who's been guiding up in Alaska during the summers for the past fifteen years.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:44:58 AM by ND PHOTOGUY »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
Cool that Brent is a fellow Sconnie. I think I ended up with that brown sugar to salt ratio from youtube videos also. I've tried dry brines with various other spices and herbs added, but truthfully, I like the plain brown sugar and salt one the best. I just want the clean flavor of salmon. I probably watched an insane amount of youtube videos on the topics of both hot-smoked and cold-smoked Salmon (Lox). I have made Lox on a few occasions, and it has been really successful using the cold smoke plate from SI (easiest to do in the winter though when outdoor temps are low). I enjoy both styles. My next project is smoking whole trout, which I have not researched yet, but is on the list.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I have two salmon steaks that will be prepped tonight for the smoker tomorrow...following Ken's recipe.   My wife is not a big fish eater, so I hope this all works out!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »
Hey Steve, please let me know how it turns out. I feel confident that you are going to be pleased. Make sure you give the fillets a good cold water rinse after taking them out of the brine. Oh, and it's fine to take them out of the smoker at an internal temp of 145 degrees if you'd like. It ends up being whatever your personal preference dictates.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:13:25 PM by ND PHOTOGUY »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »
Thanks Ken, will do.   I took them out of the brine this morning...lots of moisture in the dish!   They are sitting out now forming the pellicle.    I will have them on the smoker later this afternoon.  Did you add and seasoning to the salmon...salt/pepper, etc before smoking?   I am also going with a bout 2oz of apple.  Looking forward to the results!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Steve, I typically add some coarse ground pepper while the pellicle is forming. I didn't add pepper to this last smoke, but I almost always do so.