Author Topic: #2 on order!  (Read 2596 times)

lakkdainen

#2 on order!
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:01 AM »
After much reading and lurking on this site, you have me sold.  I've been toying with the idea of getting a smoker for a couple years, and finally started researching extensively the past month or so.  I knew I wanted electric, easy, low maintenance.  Looks like these are built to last also... seems like most electrics aren't.

I ordered an analog #2 which should be here Friday.  Shipping MI to OH is pretty fast thankfully.  :)  I'm hoping to season it Fri night, then have a first cook Sat.  Currently I have a ~9# pork shoulder and a whole chicken on hand... debating which to do first.  Apparently pulled pork is hard to screw up, so I'll likely go with that and a lot of patience while the thermometer numbers rise.  :)

mike1910

Re: #2 on order!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:48:57 AM »
Congrats on the purchase and welcome! Im
Sure you will enjoy the #2. Hope your first cook is a success
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Jimeo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:10:54 PM »
Congrats and welcome!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:18:51 PM »
Enjoy the adventure and welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
Welcome to the family, lakkdainen!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley. the #2 is a great tool. Enjoy!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

bogeyjim

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:07 PM »
Sounds like we have two newbies doing their first butts.  Mine is in the brine now, into the #2 early AM.  Good luck !
Jim in The Granite State

lakkdainen

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »
Break in went well, though the wood definitely burned. There was nothing but white ash left. I’m thinking at 250 empty that’s not too surprising though. I started the butt at 3am. Just in case I did the foil boat thing with the chunks. 7 hours later it seems to have a slow thin smoke coming out the top still, so it’s probably smoldering fine now. Will see how it goes. I have probes in the meat in two places. It’s about 165 internal. Can’t wait to see the results!

bogeyjim

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
I also had ash on my breakin burn, but some charcoal last week on my chicken roaster.  Put my 6# in at 7:00 this AM.  My heat in the smoker was showing high, so turned the rheostat down a bit.  3 hours 45 mins. in and temp running 215-260 in the box.  Butt is at 152 and slowing down, must be approaching the stall.  Hoping to hit target around 6:00 PM

Good luck !
Jim in The Granite State

lakkdainen

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Success!  Approx 12 hours at 225 to give an internal temp of 195. Came out very tasty!

lakkdainen

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »
I didn't think to snap a picture before I cleaned it out, but the wood chunks burned during this cook as well, even partially foil wrapped.  I used two chunks of hickory (3.6oz total).  One was a mix of black/white ash, the other was almost all white.  Is this normal?

bogeyjim

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Looks great.  I used 3.5 oz. hickory and 2 oz. apple.  Had mostly white ash with a small amount charcoal.
Jim in The Granite State

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is to either close the door after the smoke or check the wood right away as sometimes the wood will smolder and/or combust to ashes after the smoke if it has enough oxygen to do so.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

lakkdainen

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is to either close the door after the smoke or check the wood right away as sometimes the wood will smolder and/or combust to ashes after the smoke if it has enough oxygen to do so.

That's a good point.  I didn't even bother to look until long after when everything had cooled down.