Author Topic: Smokin It App & Notifications  (Read 2468 times)

AckMack78

Smokin It App & Notifications
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
Just got a new 3D wifi this week.  Loving it so far esp being able to control it away from home is awesome. 
My only issue is that I set an alarm to go off at a certain temp and the physical smoker will be beeping but the alarm won't go off on my phone until I manually open the app.  As soon as I open the app the alarm will start going off.  Also the app won't let me know that it's moved on to step 2 etc without opening the app.  Is there a way to get push notifications on this app or get a persistent notification?
The app is cool but it's more of a novelty if you have to be looking at the app the whole time to get it to work.  I could have a high temp alarm going off for a half hour without even knowing it because the app won't notify me.

Now to the smoker, so far smoked a pork butt and tenderloin.  Happy with both, need more smoke flavor but hopefully the smokinlicious wood will take care of that.  Don't seem to get a ton of smoke flavor from the wood it came with.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:06:32 PM by AckMack78 »
Armand behind enemy lines in S. California

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin It App & Notifications
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:04:01 PM »
Can you leave the application open/running while you use your phone or whatever for other tasks?  I ask because I would think it should be possible although a mighty drain on the battery.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

AckMack78

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:31:00 AM »
I actually played around with that a little tonight while cold smoking.  I'm on android w a Samsung and I'm able to "keep app open for quick launching" which I guess keeps it running in the background, and that does not work for the alarms.  I have another idea to try but I don't think it's going to work.  I think the only way the app works is when it's open  it pulls information from the internet so without an option to background pull info at a set period of time, you have to do it manually.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 02:00:17 AM »
The app is hot garbage...  whoever coded it should be seriously embarrassed.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:44 AM »
Many times, you have go into settings of your phone to allow for notifications. I am not an Android user, so don’t know the specifics, but iPhones, many times it’s a prompt but you can go into settings and make the change as well to allow for notifications. And, it would be a “notifications” setting for the phone, which then would show the app under that category.

Maybe that will help?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

AckMack78

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
My other idea failed, sending you notifications does not appear to be a feature of the app.  It's just there to pull info when it's open.  Either way it is cool, definitely not as great as it could be though.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 10:52:06 PM »
Forgot to welcome you to the forum Armand. Maybe you can email Steve and/or Auber and suggest an update to the app to include push notifications at 5 or 10 degree increases , or greater, user definable. Just a thought.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »
Forgot to welcome you to the forum Armand. Maybe you can email Steve and/or Auber and suggest an update to the app to include push notifications at 5 or 10 degree increases , or greater, user definable. Just a thought.

We should start a thread to discuss and rank all of the changes that need to happen to the app and wi-fi models.  Once that is done you or someone who works with him regularly could submit it for real consideration instead of just random pot-shots.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...