Author Topic: Bella add on and Bark  (Read 3187 times)

barelfly

Re: Bella add on and Bark
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
Yes, I buy all of the Oak Ridge BBQ rubs online. I have purchased some rubs at a shop in Denver when I travel there for work, but mostly through their own site. https://www.oakridgebbq.com/   

The weight for this butt was 8.6lbs, put it on the smoke at 9:30pm and pulled at 10:30am (I did drop the smoke temp at 5am to 225* because it was at 180* and I needed it to slow down a bit). But, I don’t cook at 225* anymore, no reason to unless you just want to have a longer cook. So, total time at 250* was 7.5 hours, then 5.5 hours at 225, but I would imagine it took some time to drop down to 225. I did open the door to let some heat out when I adjusted.

As for ribs, you’ll get a bit of color, but I wouldn’t call it bark on ribs. I just don’t think the time of 4-6 hours really allows for that, but you should get a little.

As for mustard, no, no flavor from the mustard, just something that is wet for the rub to stick to. You could use anything, water, A1 Sauce, anything. I just use mustard for pork and ribs because it’s cheaper.

And brisket, yes I can get a decent bark on a brisket. I use Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops rub for brisket - it is the only rub I use for brisket - for me, it’s has the flavor profile I’m looking for, love it. Some earthyness to it along with some of the bbq flavors. Oak Ridge sells smaller packs so you can try it on a few cooks and not be stuck with something you may not like. I’ll see if I can find a photo of a brisket cook, but I can get a good bark, but I’m not using just salt and pepper, so that is one of the differences.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

And, not that I’m plugging Oak Ridge, but their Smokey chile lime rub is also great on chicken! :) there you go, my three favorite rubs from them for each type of meat.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

iamimdoc

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 08:29:32 PM »
Tried Big Bad Beef Rub Recipe form Meathead.
Pretty amazing result.  Bark was beautiful and enjoyable.

I guess sugar makes the difference. 

Added benefit: Now I don't have to consider getting another device to get what I want when smoking

Thanks to all for help and advice.

barelfly

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
Outstanding!!!!

Glad you had an amazing result! BBBR is pretty good! Since you brought up Meathead, most all his rubs are great. Of all those I have tried, I’ve liked them all. Cows Crust is another good one - and then there is Memphis Dust for the pork and chicken.

Glad to help! Enjoy those next cooks!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NVW-SSV

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 05:55:03 AM »
For what it's worth, I smoked 6 boston butts in my 3.5DW last weekend, using the Bella add on for smoke. I peeked in at 180* IT and there was an absence of bark.  So, I cranked the smoker temp to 325* for the last 10-12 degrees IT.  When it was over.........perfect bark on all 6, and I didn't have to rotate the butts at all.   Cooking temp up to 180* IT was 265*.

LOVE my Bella add on for its flavor and simplicity. Anyone want to buy some cheap wood chunks :-)?
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)