Author Topic: Peterson Pucks  (Read 18468 times)

Desjeany

Peterson Pucks
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »
Did my first smoke last night using cherry Peterson pucks, and it turned out pretty good.  We smoked a 1.5 lb pork loin seasoned with garlic and cracked black pepper.  Used 2 pucks in my #1 and they smoked the whole 2 1/2 hours.  The flavor was great!  I would recommend giving the pucks a try.  Happy smoking all. www.petersonpucks.com/

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Peterson Pucks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
If you have smoked the same cut and roughly the same weight with traditional cherry of the same weight, was there a difference in the smoke flavor?  Stronger?  Weaker?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Desjeany

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »
The flavor was much greater.  Last time I used about twice as much cherry chips by weight, so the pucks are much more efficient when it comes to smoke infused flavor.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:34:35 AM »
Good to hear!  I have two bags of the Maple, two of the Cherry and one Alder.  I look forward to my next smoking session to try them out.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »
Well, I've used them to smoke meatloaf and a load of ribs.  I'd have to say they work well and are very simple to use.  Worth adding to my arsenal of woods. 8)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
Rob, how many pucks did you use per smoke?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
Rob, do you know the weight of each puck?  I emailed the company but have not gotten an answer.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
Anybody have an opinion on the pucks vs. Fruitawood chunks? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drken567

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
Hi all,
just got a selection of the Peterson pucks. Bags ranged from about 34 oz. (alder) to about 44 (maple), with 22 pucks per package. So, they look to be about 1.5 - 2 oz. per puck depending on the wood. Haven't had a chance to try them so far. Maybe later this weekend. - Ken

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Thank you. I was surprised that the company did not respond. Maybe its a secret.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »
Ed, have you actually given the pucks a try?  These things would be a neat addition to the smoking kit ... they're not sold locally as far as I can tell but I'd be interested in them via mail order if I can get some feedback.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
Hi all,
just got a selection of the Peterson pucks. Bags ranged from about 34 oz. (alder) to about 44 (maple), with 22 pucks per package. So, they look to be about 1.5 - 2 oz. per puck depending on the wood. Haven't had a chance to try them so far. Maybe later this weekend. - Ken

What about you, Ken?  Tried them yet?  We're aching for feedback on the little pucks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

drken567

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
"What about you, Ken?  Tried them yet?  We're aching for feedback on the little pucks!"

Well, I'm pretty darned happy with the pucks. Made up a pulled pork a few weeks ago with a hickory dowel PLUS a (maple?) puck. Blend was awesome. Have been experimenting with smoking cheese lately, and use the pucks for that. Made a sample run of sharp cheddar w/cherry puck the other day that came out extremely well; did some other cheeses that came out badly (too hot for too long) but though the cheese mostly melted and dripped into the water pan, the remains tasted super....

Noting that the pucks seem to keep "smoking themselves" after you turn the heat off / unplug the smoker. Some of the solid wood I've used sort of extinguishes itself a while after pulling the plug, but the puck the other day kept giving smoke for a good 1/2 hr. after I shut down the smoker.... I suppose this is either a good thing, or not, depending on what you are doing.

Also of note is that the pucks are not all uniform thickness (and presumably different weights). While they are generally roughly the same, I've been choosing thinner pucks for things (cheese) that may not require as much smoke.

Anyway, there's a small data point. I'm new to the whole smoke business, so above is guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it!
Cheers,
Ken

BIG BOB

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
anything like a Bradley puck? buddy has a Bradley and I may bum some different flavors from him.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ken!  I've checked out the website, but can't quite figure out how they're made!  They say they don't use any binders, but they look like formed sawdust...how the heck do they hold them together?  Are they solid, or compressed sawdust?  Looks like a great concept; I just can't figure them out! :o   I'm very interested in them - especially for cold smoking.

Bob - the Bradley pucks look more like OSB (oriented strand board) than compressed sawdust.  I'm sure they'll probably work in a Smokin-it, but am not sure how well.  Please let us know your results when you try them!
Tony from NW Arkansas