Author Topic: How much wood to use??  (Read 6201 times)

niceguy0427

How much wood to use??
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I'm just curious - is there a general rule of thumb as to how much wood to use? I tend to smoke smaller pieces of meat - just enough for my wife and me. I generally smoke meat in the 1.5 to 4 pound size.

Also, what types of wood goes best with each type of meat?

Thanks,

Don

PS - this forum is awesome. I'm getting all kinds of great information!
Don - Idaho
Model#2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: How much wood to use??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Look at that "Nice Guy is trying to start a fight. Personal wood preference is up there with Ford or Chevy? and Who has the nicest car?

But generally speaking, less wood is best in these smokers, you can do a lot with 2 oz. I like, cherry, sugar maple, apple, hazelnut, service berry and mulberry. One great thing about your SI is you can throw a chunk of tree in there your not limited to chips, pucks, or pellets. I prefer to use a fresh piece of wood for each smoke.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
Also, what types of wood goes best with each type of meat?
PS - this forum is awesome. I'm getting all kinds of great information!

Brian's right - might as well have asked "what's the best brand of beer," or "who has the best football team?"  You're probably about to get slaughtered with answers! lol! :o

Seriously, that question is about as subjective as it gets around here.  Wood smoke flavor is personal preference, and I tend to see it influenced greatly by where folks are from.  If you're used to BBQ in my neck of the woods, hickory is the "go to" wood, if only 1 choice were available.  Others think that would be cherry...or pecan...or oak...see?

Here's my recommendation:  go to www.fruitawood.com and check out there info on woods.  They have a very good section on just what you're asking - what type of wood goes well with each type of meat.  Then, get some small quantities and experiment!  Here's an example - I used to think I liked apple, but having done several different smokes with it, I realized I really don't!  Some folks swear by it, but it doesn't suit my palate.  Live and learn!

As far as amounts - if you're not smoking anything over 4 lbs, stay light.  No more than 2-3 oz.  One recommendation on what you're saying about size:  BBQ keeps very well when you vacuum-pack and put in the freezer.  Larger cuts smoke better, and typically come out more juicy and tender (and they're actually easier to smoke).  When I smoke ribs (for me, the wife and son), I smoke 3 racks of baby backs at a time.  We, maybe, eat a rack between us.  The other 2 go into Foodsaver bags and straight in the freezer.  When you reheat them properly, they're just like the day they came out of the smoker!  Something to think about... 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

niceguy0427

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
Thanks Brian and Tony,

I get the picture! I'll try and be a little more careful with what I ask for in the future!!

Tony - good suggestion on going bigger then vacuum-pack the leftovers. I will try that the next time.
Also, I will check out the info on wood at fruitawood.com

I have a lot to learn. So far it has been fun (no failures) and very tasty! The wife is loving it!

Don
Don - Idaho
Model#2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
Tony is right, if the smoker is running it is just as easy and LOGICAL for it to be full.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
And, it's just so easy to overcook or dry-out small cuts.  Lots more "margin of error" with the bigger hunks of meat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »

When you reheat them properly, they're just like the day they came out of the smoker!  Something to think about...

Tony...I have just frozen a rack of ribs using the foodsaver.   Do you have advice on how to "reheat them properly"?  Thanks!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
Steve, I thaw them for a couple of days in the fridge, then put them in a crock pot (standing on their sides), with a 1/4" of apple juice in the bottom.  Set on Low, and let heat for a few hours.  Keep the lid on, and they come out warm and moist!  I did 4 racks like this for my office, and they were perfect.
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »
Great...I did not think about using the crock pot!  Will do, thanks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mnsmoker

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
What I like to do, if I see a good deal on ribs is make a couple of racks for immediate consumption and just under cook the rest of them, freeze, thaw overnight and finish on the grill 10 -12 minutes a side, works great when you got company coming and don't want to fire up the smoker.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »
That works well, too, Jim.  The crock pot method is for convenience - no outside appliances, and can be done anywhere there's a plug.  Also, it's "autopilot" and pretty much impossible to overcook them.  I do pulled pork the same way - comes out great!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:15:30 AM »
Added bonus when using the crockpot......the house will smell great by the time your company gets there!!
Jim from Minnesota

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
All the  better!   We have a birthday party at the house coming up in 2 weeks.  I am going to smoke several racks of ribs the day before and mac/cheese on the day of the party.  I will definitely use the crockpot on the day of the party to heat up the ribs and add a nice smoke flavor to the house!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
GREAT point, Jim!  I totally forgot to mention the "southern potpourri" you get with this method!   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas