Author Topic: Roll your own???......wood that is  (Read 5585 times)

whokluvr

Roll your own???......wood that is
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
I'm jumping the gun because my smoker hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already wondering about cutting and using my own wood. I plan to start off smoking with commercially available wood to get a little experience and establish a baseline but thought it would be fun to eventually start experimenting with some of the trees growing on my farm.  Hickory, Red / White Oak, Maple, Cherry, Beech, Persimmon, PawPaw, Sasafrass, Apple and many other species are all available. Is there any benefit to using freshly cut wood and should it be dried to a particular moisture level before use? I read another post that said it is important the wood chunks be bark free.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

rickne

Re: Roll your own???......wood that is
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
I don't cut my own wood so I'm not an expert or have any experience on how seasoned it should be.  From what I understand, it should be seasoned, but not completely dried out.

I will say that I prefer no bark and knock as much off my chunks as I can.

I'm a big fan of Sasafrass, but it's not easy to find locally.  It's fairly strong so I usually mix a chuck of it with a chunk of oak.

I'd say experiment away.  Keep in mind that these use very little wood and it's easy to over smoke things.  You could send me two 12"x4" sasafrass logs and that would last me a year.  I've gotten to the point that I'm splitting the chunks that I buy locally.

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »
I like the enthusiasm!  I was thinking of doing that, but I don't really have access to all that good wood.  I ended up ordering 6 varieties of wood in the sampler from Fruita Wood in the "CookShack Cut" and it works great.  I still split it once so I can evenly distribute it into the smoker and mix woods if I choose to.  The Boston Butts I just did were with Hickory and Peach.  Deliciousness.

As for the bark, I have heard some say it makes it bitter, but on Fruita's site they say it doesn't and the pieces I have used with bark on them have not made the taste bitter.

If you have them and want to cut them, I say give it a try.

Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out. 
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
A couple of years ago I had a large cherry tree cut back and saved some of the wood chopped up for my fireplace.    I am now using this wood for my smoker by sawing off chunks each time I want to use cherry.   The wood that I have is well seasoned (and perhaps too dry now) since it sat out for a couple of years in a wood pile.   If you want to use your own wood, I would recommend chopping some now and letting it season for a few months, possibly using it next summer.  I don't think wet wood will work as well in the smoker.

I have been using my #2 since February and I think I have now worked through 3 pieces of wood (chopped pieces that you would put in a fireplace)!  So, you won't need much wood from your variety of trees to be well stocked for smoking meat!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

whokluvr

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I figured any wood used would need to be dried and that's why I figured now would be the perfect time. We heat our house with wood and the indoor humidity level hovers between 8-12% in the winter. It's great fun shuffling your socks across the carpet then zapping the wife's sleeping cat with a charge of static electricity! I've never seen a pig fly but a cat sure can!  Any wood left inside by the woodstove for more than 48 hours opens up and dries out FAST! It's like having an indoor kiln and should suck the moisture out of a few small pieces real quick. I'm thinking weight of the chunks before / after should provide an idea how much water was removed.

Sasafrass grows like weeds around here. (west central Indiana). I spend a few hours on the tractor every couple of years pushing it back from the crop field edges..it loves to grow in full sun. Woodworkers like the grain and redish color and it brings premium prices in a timber sale if you have large diameter, long straight logs. We like to steam a few roots in a copper kettle on the woodstove during the holidays and it really makes the house smell great.

rickne......provide a mailing address and I will send you some sasafrass! I will cut it this weekend and dry it for a week or two before I send it.   Merry Christmas!

Scott

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
Sounds like you may be onto something, Bob!  Here's the question: has the wood been kiln-dried yet?  Obviously, a flooring producer is going to dry this lumber.  The reason I ask is all about moisture content.  Typically, kiln-dried lumber is going to be 6-8% moisture content; this is way too dry for smoking wood (it'll catch fire and dry your meat out).

From what I've learned, smoking wood is usually kept around 25-35% moisture content.  "Moderate" moisture wood is 16-24%.  Too-dry is less than 15% (unless you're cold-smoking - then it's fine).  So, you want to ask your buddy what the moisture content of the bundled wood is (before drying), and ask him what it would take to get it around 25%.  If he makes flooring, he'll know this stuff by heart.  If you can get that, you may just be the next Fruitawood!  ;)   Sounds like you could have a source for lots of Smokin-It-size chunks!

I think all the woods you listed are great for smoking, with the exception of walnut.  But, the only reason I say walnut is because I've never used it!  ???   Others will probably chime-in that it's great!  I love oak with beef; especially tri-tip steaks or roast.

Welcome, Scott!  Here's something I posted in September in regards to someone asking about using hardwood flooring.  One thing you might do, if you plan to season your own wood, is to get a cheap moisture meter.  Most lumber & hardware suppliers have these. 

I would think that the 8-12% humidity in your house would definitely dry your wood too much.  If you test your chunks, you could put them in an airtight container when they hit about 25% moisture.  Too wet, and they won't heat enough to smoke; too dry, and they'll combust (this is bad).

If you want to push the "easy button" on woods other than sasafrass, just order from Fruitawood in "Cookshack Cut" size.  Good wood, and it lasts a long time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I figured any wood used would need to be dried and that's why I figured now would be the perfect time. We heat our house with wood and the indoor humidity level hovers between 8-12% in the winter. It's great fun shuffling your socks across the carpet then zapping the wife's sleeping cat with a charge of static electricity! I've never seen a pig fly but a cat sure can!  Any wood left inside by the woodstove for more than 48 hours opens up and dries out FAST! It's like having an indoor kiln and should suck the moisture out of a few small pieces real quick. I'm thinking weight of the chunks before / after should provide an idea how much water was removed.

Sasafrass grows like weeds around here. (west central Indiana). I spend a few hours on the tractor every couple of years pushing it back from the crop field edges..it loves to grow in full sun. Woodworkers like the grain and redish color and it brings premium prices in a timber sale if you have large diameter, long straight logs. We like to steam a few roots in a copper kettle on the woodstove during the holidays and it really makes the house smell great.

rickne......provide a mailing address and I will send you some sasafrass! I will cut it this weekend and dry it for a week or two before I send it.   Merry Christmas!

Scott

I wouldn't mind some to try out! I have never tried it before and sounds pretty nice. I would be glad to pay shipping charges for a chunk or two.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:44 PM »
The Sassafras sounds great. I may have to get in on that mailing if you are up to it. Happy to pay shipping and for your trouble.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »
yeah let us know, we all seem pretty interested in the wood if you have lots of it growing around. fresh or not I would gladly try some.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

whokluvr

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
It appears from the post office website that a small "flat rate" box costs $5.60 and would hold a piece of wood measuring 1-5/8" x 5-3/8 x 8-5/8". I also just remembered that I have an area where I dropped 10 or 15 young Sassafras trees last winter because they were outgrowing and crowding some young red and white Oak's. Many of the dropped trees are suspended up off the ground and should be great candidates for use. They range in diameter from 4-12". Sassafras is straight grained and splits VERY easily so I should be able to split it into squares and cut it to a length that will entirely fill the flat rate box. Provide a delivery address and I'll send you some. After it arrives if you could reimburse me for the $5.60 cost I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for all the tips!
Scott

rickne

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Scott,

I sent you a Personal Message.  Thanks for being so kind!
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID