Author Topic: Danny from Louisiana.  (Read 1684 times)

danlee66

Danny from Louisiana.
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »
Hello everyone....I’m Danny from Louisiana and new to the forum. I just recently ordered the model 3D wifi unit after some researching and speaking with, Steve. I just joined here this evening and am a little confused on some items but I see this will be a learning curve. I'm not new to the smoking arena by no means but new to the electric scene for sure. Things I'm confused on; 1. Some say good smoke flavor and some say no smoke flavor? Some say ramp temp and some say don't? Some say wrap wood blocks in foil or put foil under the wood blocks? As you can see from my perspective.....its a bit overwhelming and probably a trial and error thing for each personal use. With that being said....Im very excited to get smoking and to get to each of you.

Danny
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:03:11 PM by danlee66 »
Danny from Louisiana
Smokin-it 3D wifi

Tightywhitey

Re: Danny from Louisiana.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:13:59 PM »
Hello from New Orleans
Tightywhitey from New Orleans
Smokin-it Model #2

danlee66

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:43:10 PM »
Not to far!
Danny from Louisiana
Smokin-it 3D wifi

Hank R

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:06:21 PM »
Welcome from Western Canada.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Hello everyone....I’m Danny from Louisiana and new to the forum. I just recently ordered the model 3D wifi unit after some researching and speaking with, Steve. I just joined here this evening and am a little confused on some items but I see this will be a learning curve.

Hey Danny, welcome to the family!  Don't worry, you'll pick everything up in time.  In the interim, it's difficult to have a complete disaster.  You'll see a lot of ways to do the same thing and many times it's subjective (and possibly irrelevant) on which is the correct way to do it.  :)

1. Some say good smoke flavor and some say no smoke flavor?

I'm not sure what this references.  Some folks like a lot of smoke and others prefer a much lighter smoke.  This will be an area for you to experiment to find your favorite woods and wood quantities.  It's probably best to start with less wood at first and gradually use more in the future until you find what tastes best to you and your other beneficiaries.  :)

Some say ramp temp and some say don't? Some say wrap wood blocks in foil or put foil under the wood blocks?

Both of these typically relate to managing the process so that your wood doesn't catch on fire.  One thing most will agree on is that the wood catching on fire can leave you with too little smoke and/or a bitter smoke flavor.  What you want is for the wood to slowly turn into charcoal over the life of the smoke instead of turning into ash.  I'm a big proponent for putting a double layer of foil in the bottom of the smoke box and poking smaller holes in it to restrict airflow and thus prevent combustion.  You will also see a lot of posts suggesting purchasing premium wood chunks from a few highly regarded vendors instead of purchasing from big box stores.  With the use of foil I haven't found that necessary to prevent combustion, but I'll probably try it one of these days just to see if I like the smoke flavor better or differently.

Looking forward to hearing both your questions and successes!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
Welcome from Washington Parish. I find the smoke flavor just right, I don't wrap the chips, I weigh the chips for consistence, and vary specie for the flavor. 
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

danlee66

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
Thank you everyone!
Danny from Louisiana
Smokin-it 3D wifi

Hank R

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
I am new also and all I can say is write down in a note book what you have done, wood, time, and temp as well as what you are smoking and then you will be able to look back as to any changes that need to be done.   I also write down outdoor temp and how my ribs etc, tasted.   Good luck :)
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »
I am new also and all I can say is write down in a note book what you have done, wood, time, and temp as well as what you are smoking and then you will be able to look back as to any changes that need to be done.   I also write down outdoor temp and how my ribs etc, tasted.   Good luck :)

As an alternative to a notebook...  you can post about your smokes here and look them up pretty easily when you need to.  I've looked up my old posts so many times that it's kind of crazy.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »
Welcome Danny from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill