Author Topic: New 3D WiFi owner in Illinois  (Read 1269 times)

d76

New 3D WiFi owner in Illinois
« on: January 03, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
I just received my new 3D WiFi and I am muddling through the startup.  I’m in north central Illinois near Ottawa.  First smoker.  My brother has had an original model 1 for several years which inspired me to get one.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:54:09 PM by d76 »
Dan from Illinois
Rookie SI 3D WiFi owner

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: New 3D WiFi owner in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »
Welcome to the family... uh, whatever your name is.  :) 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.  A name would be nice!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

d76

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Dan
Dan from Illinois
Rookie SI 3D WiFi owner

d76

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:43:09 PM »
This is the result of my seasoning.  The back was obliterated to ash.  The middle slightly less, but still ash.  The front was only half burnt.  Any tips for wood placement when I actually smoke some meat.
Dan from Illinois
Rookie SI 3D WiFi owner

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
My personal recommendation is that you put down a double layer of tinfoil in the bottom of the smoke box and then poke smaller holes in it than the ones you just covered up.  This will reduce the airflow and cut down on the risk of combustion.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

ken h

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »
This is the result of my seasoning.  The back was obliterated to ash.  The middle slightly less, but still ash.  The front was only half burnt.  Any tips for wood placement when I actually smoke some meat.

I have a new 3.5D.  Im new to electric smokers as well.  I went through the same process of figuring out how to place wood so it doesn't burn up and turn to ash.  I did some test burns and placed 4 wood chunks equally spaced from front to back and determined that the hot spots in my wood box are everywhere except the front of it.  It was still a little hot at the front so I lined the bottom of the entire wood box with foil and did another test burn. I finally determined that lining the entire wood box with foil and placing the wood at the front of the box resulted in the wood burning as desired leaving a chunk of burnt wood with no ash.  I did not poke holes in the foil above the holes in the base of the wood box.  Hope this helps.  YMMV.   
Ken H