Author Topic: Jerky Dryer and Bacon?  (Read 2047 times)

kijim

Jerky Dryer and Bacon?
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
I have been making batches of bacon for the last year (I got my model #1 for myself for Christmas last year). My bacon turns out excellent flavor wise however 1) It seems to more "steam" than smoke-it comes out looking kind of ugly. And 2) I smoke/steam it at 165 deg until it hits 152 deg internal temp. It gets this temp very quickly (about 1 1/2 hours) so it does not absorb much smoke. It still tastes really good, but I would like it to look better and to get a bit deeper smoke flavor. I just ordered and received my jerky dryer and am planning on smoking 20 lbs of bacon this weekend (it has been curing in my fridge). I am hoping the jerky dryer will help the color and flavor. Am I correct? Also, should I run it during the entire smoking process? If so, will it dry out the bacon? Also...when smoking I just use like 2 small  2" chunks of apple. When using the jerky dryer, should I adjuct this? How? Thanks for your help!

sweetride95

Re: Jerky Dryer and Bacon?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Wow, at 165F I am surprised it gets to 150 that quickly. My #2 seems to take a little longer, doing two 5lbs chunks of belly at a time. I hot smoke at 200.
Apple is kinda mellow, you could try more wood, or go with something more assertive. I use hickory on my bacon.
I have started cold smoking. I have gone up to 6 hours. I'm still learning cold smoke as I go, so some others will definitely have a better detailed explanation. 
Is the jerky dryer safe to use at higher temps?
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »
Turn the heat down, I run at 100 with lots f quality chips. To me bacon and jerky can not be too smoky. The lower heat will keep the moisture down, the lengthen smoke time will deepen the flavor. When you get the color you want raise the temp and bring it up to 150 IT.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
Where I live it is never cold 78F at night is cold for us. So this thread got me thinking. I have a 3.5D.

Pullout the wood box
Put a a-maze-n on the bottom slide in smoker shelf centered over grease drain hole
4 frozen 2 liter bottles a couple of shelves above that
Bellies above that for the cold smoke faze
Run the jerky dryer for airflow to keep the pellets lit

Anybody see anything wrong or dangerous about this plan?
Walt in Bonaire

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »
Anybody see anything wrong or dangerous about this plan?

I would put something in to create a touch of space under your a-maze-n to insure airflow.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

sweetride95

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »
I set my amazing smoke thing on the bracket that hangs the smoke box in my #2. I then have room for a 2 or 3 frozen half gallon jugs. If I have 2 big chunks of belly in there I have to run a computer fan on top, sorta like your jerky dryer, to help add some draft. The amazin thing works well in an empty box, loaded though, she needs a little help. Works great though, 8 hrs pretty easy if needed.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor