Author Topic: Bacon  (Read 2043 times)

es1025

Bacon
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:52 AM »
I am in the process on making some bacon.  Purchased a 4.36# pork belly.
Using the amazing ribs recipe, 4.5 tablespoons of kosher salt and ground black pepper, 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup dark maple syrup, 3/4 cup distilled water, and 1/2 teaspoon of cure #1. Plan on curing for 5 days and then smoking on Saturday at 225 until an internal temp of 150.
My question, how much wood? I usually error on the light side for wood. My family does not like heavy smoke. 1-2 oz seem ok?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

barelfly

Re: Bacon
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 11:36:43 AM »
I think I’ve done half chunks of Smokinlicious wood as well as smaller fruit wood chunks I’ve picked up at a local shop.

But I use fruit wood chips too, and total weight of all wood is probably 4oz. I also feather the power to allow for a longer smoke. This bacon can get to temp quick so I’ll try to do what I can to extend the smoke.

Have fun, and don’t forget to rinse the belly and pat dry before you smoke. 
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

birdchaser

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
At 225 on 4# belly it shouldn't take long to get to temp, so you should be fine. I hot smoked once before I got smokin-it. Not near enough smoke for me or any of my tasters. Cold smoking, around 20 hrs. or so. I would cure at least 7 days for good penetration of cure. Hope this helps.
Smokin-it#1, WSM22.5, Weber kettle 22.5, Smoke hollow vertical charcoal smoker, Amazn pellet smoker. Smokehouse for cold smokin bacon.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »
Personally Jerky and bacon can not have too much smoke.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud