Author Topic: Big Red - Install on 3D with Photos  (Read 7018 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Big Red - Install on 3D with Photos
« on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »
I installed the new Auber - Big Red WiFi-equipped controller today on my 3D smoker. To get the job done all you need is a small regular and Phillip's  screwdriver.
First remove all the screens (total of 7 - there is not a screw by the switch). Next remove the two power connection from the old controller and the two wires on the right (connector SSR), next unplug the connector labeled SIN1.

Set the old controller aside (you are done with it). First install the new gasket that came with the new Red controller. Then connect the two power connectors, then insert the two bare wires into connector SSR and screw down. Next plug in the connector to PT1 on the left.
Next step line up the new controller with the screw holes and using the new washers that are supplied, screw down the new controller.

That's it pretty straight forward. All you need to do next is to setup the app with you cell phone, connect with the new controller and you are ready to smoke.
Best Greg

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Big Red - Install on 3D with Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
Good wrte up.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

ArsenalFan

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
Where can I get one of the upgraded Wifi controllers to replace the one on my 3D?
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)

Mr.Ed

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
My 3D's display started going south about a year ago. The digital letters and numbers started to lose all the pixels so a "C" looked like an L and so on. I figured I needed the wifi upgrade. The installation was a snap, but one screw was not drilled on center and took a little extra drilling for the proper alignment.
One important thing for all who use a 5G router in your home, the instructions call for a 2.4g network for the smoker wifi to connect to the application. After wondering why I got a failed to connect notification, I realized I had to go to my phone settings and switch my phone wifi from my 5G auto-config. to my 2.4G setting.  Bingo, the application connected to my smoker.
Everything runs perfectly so far, I have done 6 cooks using the new wifi. The only strange thing when connected flashing blue light is supposed to go solid when connected, mine stays flashing. The connection is fine and all works, cook times, temperature times, alarms, step settings all work. So the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

As some of you know my background comes from the BBQ smoking circuit a few years back and this wifi is something I'm very used to working with.

For the members on the edge about upgrading, its Christmas time, Mrs. Santa just may get you one, it's well worth the money. 

Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.