Author Topic: Cart Alternative For SI#2  (Read 21051 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cart Alternative For SI#2
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
I have the same cart and just have my #3 sitting inside the shelf while I contemplate what kind of top to put on.

I wonder if the extra weight of the #3 would be able to handle the top installed upside down?

I am also thinking of enclosing the whole thing and putting a door on with shelves inside for all of my racks since I have five regular racks and 5 seafood racks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
Quote from: NDKoze
I am also thinking of enclosing the whole thing and putting a door on with shelves inside for all of my racks since I have five regular racks and 5 seafood racks."

Gregg, I like the idea of enclosing everything and putting a door on it. I would imagine if you did that it would also add extra support to the top. Keep me posted if you decide to do that. I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:23:12 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
I wonder if the extra weight of the #3 would be able to handle the top installed upside down?

I think you'll be fine, either way.  The top's structural strength is from the 90° "sideboards," so it doesn't matter which orientation they're in.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
Thanks guys. I bought a cart last night after seeing this post and the 20% off coupon. It was cheap so I can't complain even if I'm not 100% sure I needed/wanted it. Who knows, maybe I'll use it and wonder how I ever got along without it.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

pargolfr2003

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 07:22:43 AM »
Dammit! Where was this thread a month ago when I bought my cart? I ordered the cart with my SI2. It works fine and I like it, but I sure like the price of Grampy's better. Great idea!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 08:07:09 PM »
Dammit! Where was this thread a month ago when I bought my cart? I ordered the cart with my SI2. It works fine and I like it, but I sure like the price of Grampy's better. Great idea!

I decided to skip on the cart, to keep the smoker a low profile item in my pool area. But if I was going to buy one, I would get one from Steve, they look like they are really solid!

Greg

pargolfr2003

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 06:16:09 AM »
Greg that's true. It is definitely a solid well made cart. Should last me quite awhile
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »
I just ordered my cart from Harbor Freight thanks to Grampy and I got the 20% off.  I was wondering if the bolt size is the same as on my SI #1 as the SI #2 M10 X 150.
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

Grampy

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
I was wondering if the bolt size is the same as on my SI #1 as the SI #2 M10 X 150.

Isaac, I think you will be pleased with the cart. My has worked out really well for me. As far as the bolt size for a #1 compared to a #2 I can't help you. I don't know anything about the #1's. However, I can tell you that the #2 bolts are not the same size as the #3. I read on here where someone posted the size for #3 and either I missed it or just didn't pay attention to that little bit of information. Needless to say I bought the wrong size bolts and had to go back to the hardware store.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
Grampy, thanks for taking the time to answer; I’ll take the caster with me when I purchase the bolts. I‘ve studied your cart and I see you put the font legs center on the cart, is this correct……….
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

Grampy

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
I‘ve studied your cart and I see you put the font legs center on the cart, is this correct……….
Isaac, I am not sure of your question. The legs on my cart only go on one way and that is on all 4 corners.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:49:21 AM by Grampy »
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
I’m sorry Grampy, let me rephrase the question: I‘ve studied your cart and I see you put the front legs of your smoker center on top of the cart, is this correct……….
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

Grampy

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
Isaac, I got it now! I didn't intentionally center the front legs of the smoker in the middle of the cart. That is just where it ended up being. I wanted it towards the back of the cart (end with the handle) so I could have an area in front of the smoker to slide the drip pan in and out and to also have a place to set things while loading/unloading the smoker. Now I did measure from the sides of the cart just to make sure it was centered from both edges equally. I did that mainly to help with stability of the cart. I hope that answered your question.   
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
Grampy, again thanks for the info, I'll post a picture when I'm finished with the cart.
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
I just ordered my cart from Harbor Freight thanks to Grampy and I got the 20% off.  I was wondering if the bolt size is the same as on my SI #1 as the SI #2 M10 X 150.

I'm pretty sure the #1 and 2 have the same casters, but the #3 are bigger. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!