Author Topic: Best insulated BBQ gloves?  (Read 46539 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Best insulated BBQ gloves?
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on the best insulated BBQ gloves?  I'm thinking of getting some of the silicone kind they sell at the chef's supply places.  I'm thinking they'll be durable and easy to clean.  Thoughts?

Joe's usually spot-on with his equipment recommendations - got a link for me? ;)

Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Best insulated BBQ gloves?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »
Heh, yup, I'm the smoking nerd who buys every supplemental product for "scientific purposes".   ;D

Here are the ones that I use ... the only reason I chose them over the Steve Raichlen gloves on Amazon is that these are black and are more resistant to stains:

http://texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

If you've got Amazon Prime, I had a set of these that lasted several years and were very good for the money; they do stain but a quick soak in white vinegar fixes most of the problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Both sets of gloves are long enough to go well past the wrist and fit even big paws like mine.  I'll just pull ribs, briskets and butts out of the smoker with them to transfer to a meat pan and the heat isn't an issue.  There are some mittens style that lack the individual fingers that I'd avoid ... rendered fat is a slippery thing so every little advantage helps.

Hmmm ... perhaps I need to have Ben create a Gadgets listing so we can all post our gear reviews ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
Heh, yup, I'm the smoking nerd who buys every supplemental product for "scientific purposes".   ;D

Here are the ones that I use ... the only reason I chose them over the Steve Raichlen gloves on Amazon is that these are black and are more resistant to stains:

http://texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

If you've got Amazon Prime, I had a set of these that lasted several years and were very good for the money; they do stain but a quick soak in white vinegar fixes most of the problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Both sets of gloves are long enough to go well past the wrist and fit even big paws like mine.  I'll just pull ribs, briskets and butts out of the smoker with them to transfer to a meat pan and the heat isn't an issue.  There are some mittens style that lack the individual fingers that I'd avoid ... rendered fat is a slippery thing so every little advantage helps.

Hmmm ... perhaps I need to have Ben create a Gadgets listing so we can all post our gear reviews ...

Heh, I knew I could count on you, Joe!  The Texas rub gloves are the ticket!  At $12, with free shipping, it's a better deal than the Raichen gloves on Amazon Prime ($16.99).  I, too, like that they're black.  Thanks! 

Any better ideas out there?? 

I would also like to see Ben create a Gadgets listing for us nerds out here! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive!! LOL  ;D

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=21.0

Gadgets and Gizmos category. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:35:20 PM by BHamel »
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »
Outstanding, Ben!  Thanks for keeping this forum shipshape!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
Trying to stay on top of it.  May have to recruit a moderator soon!   :o
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Now THAT'S service!  Way to go, Ben!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
I chose the Steve Raichlen gloves on Amazon due to a recommendation from another forum I visit. I have the gray color, they work fine, but they do stain a bit.  A little soap and a non-scouring sponge did the trick.
Joe knows BBQ, anything he recommends is like the good housekeeping seal of approval. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
I pulled the trigger on the Raichien gloves on Amazon, because I was ordering knives, too (Prime, free 2-day shipping, no tax).  Then, the very next day, I was browsing the bbq section at Academy Sports & Outdoors (always cool stuff there), and came across some the black ones like the ones from  Texas rub, at only $12.95 (paid $16.95 for the Raichien gloves).  I got a pair, and planned for a comparison of the two.  I tried the black gloves from Academy, and they were great!  The Raichien gloves arrived today, and I'm sending them back tomorrow.  I can't see any difference, besides the color.  Also, with the negative reviews about staining, I figure I'll just go with the black ones.  Usually have enough to clean after a cook, so I don't want to have to de-stain my gloves, too - just wash them in a little dish soap!  I go with the "easy button" whenever possible!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spresso

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
I agree with Joe,
I have been using the TexasBBQ glove for quite a while now,  it`s a lot better than the thick silicon types.  You have lot more dexterity with this.  It cannot handle super high temperatures. But for smoking it`s perfect.
Oh and it`s easy to clean.  You just wash your hands with a little soap with the gloves on.....
I used to buy their rubs too but I make my own now.....
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
Update on the gloves!  I've been using the no-name brand I got at Academy sports for awhile, and they're great.  They appear to look just like the ones from TexasBBQ.  The only reason I got them instead of ordering from TBBQ, is I put my hands on them and had them now.  I highly recommend these gloves if you have an Academy near you.
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigboy74

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:54 AM »
Good to know. I'll have to stop by and get some. I looked at them the last time I was in there.

Spresso

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance....
Sports store selling BBQ gloves???  (never seen or heard of Academy before)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance....
Sports store selling BBQ gloves???  (never seen or heard of Academy before)

Oh Zed, so much you folks north of the border miss!  ;)   We have these stores down here in the states that sell everything outdoor-related; exercise equipment, golf supplies, shoes, clothes, fishing/hunting/shooting, and a big selection of bbq equipment & supplies.  It's called Academy Sports & Outdoors. 

Might be worth a run south some time just to visit one of these outdoor meccas!   ;D

Oh, and don't be offended - just having a bit of fun!  Besides, you guys have some of the best beer on the planet!  Moosehead, Labatt's Blue, Molsen....mmmm!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:17:54 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spence

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:02:53 AM »
Picked up a pair from Academy before my last smoke and they are a great value.  Best of all, after you are through with all the messy handling, just put them on again and wash your "hands" with HOT water and soap.  Easy and clean for the next time.  Thanks for this valuable tip.
Alabama Chain Smoker