Author Topic: My "go-to" brine for salmon  (Read 2682 times)

steve g

My "go-to" brine for salmon
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »
I've used this brine recipe for many years, I got it from steelheader.net .  If you find it too salty, you can use 2/3 to 3/4 of the salt shown.  I smoke with alder chips. 

When I know I'll be eating most of it, I'll sprinkle some cayenne pepper just before smoking, but I have never had a complaint when I put it in the brine (barely detectable mild heat).  Mapeline is a brand name for an extract used to make maple syrup at home, it is worth the effort to find it.

Granny GutZ Smoked Fish Recipe
(Family Secret)
In a 5 gallon bucket -
1 Gallon warm water
2 Cups salt (I use morton's table salt)
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons garlic powder
8 Tablespoons onion powder
2 ounce bottle of mapeline
1 1/2 cups Karo Corn Syrup

Steve in Roseville, MN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: My "go-to" brine for salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »
I am not being negative because as you say you have used that brine for years....

But have you considered substituting pure maple syrup for the  2 ounce bottle of mapeline1 1/2 cups Karo Corn Syrup ? Also Kosher salt instead of iodized table salt.
Again i am not being critical just thinking about purer flavors. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

steve g

Re: My "go-to" brine for salmon
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
Nah, to each his own.  I've tried both kosher and table salt, never been able to notice any difference.  Pure maple syrup is kind of spendy, never actually tried it, though I probably should. 

I have an easily satisfied palate, I've hardly ever had a beer or wine that I didn't enjoy, either, so when I try something and like it, I don't mess with success.