Author Topic: To separate or not  (Read 4712 times)

UK_CATS_FAN

To separate or not
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »
Got a 15lb pork shoulder/Boston butt from Sams yesterday and need to know thoughts on keeping it whole or separating the upper Boston from the lower picnic shoulder.  I want to smoke all of this meat at once.  Keep it whole or dissect it...thoughts?   

UK_CATS_FAN

Re: To separate or not
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
I guess I should've opened the package before asking. It was separated already, thanks for the looks.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »
In that case I would separate it.  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
They are actually both Boston's if they are the same as I get from Sam's.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:06 PM »
Yep, it's a 2-pack of Bostons - no picnics there! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UK_CATS_FAN

UPDATE w/pics To separate or not
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
Here are pics plus pics of the bones. They look different, one is larger and shaped different.  Did I still do two Boston butts or a butt and picnic?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
Your picture is ay too big to see. Try using the info intp this thread and post a smaller picture:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »
They're both Boston butts - trust me! ;)   Only the upper shoulder, where the Boston butt comes from, produces the T-shaped shoulder bone like those.  Picnic bones are straight, and mostly round (like a ham bone).  Definitely Boston butts.  One was just larger than the other.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »
The shoulder will also usually have a ball joint in there. Very different from the Boston Butt.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

UK_CATS_FAN

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »
Thanks folks, y'all are the masters of knowledge.  I used sugar maple this time and they both turned out yummy. So is the time formula estimate of xlbs X 1 1/2-2 hours for total meat or single pieces?  For example, do I combine weight for a total of 16 lbs of meat for 24 hours. Or 2 butts each weighing about 8lbs so that should have been approximately 12 hours smoke time.  I hope the first one because I smoked those 2 butts at 225 on the top shelf for 24 hours!  I pulled them at 194, double wrapped and cooler stored for 1 1/2 hours.  Again thanks for all the inputs and knowledge I truly appreciate it and feel it has saved me time and money.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »
I think it will be somewhere in between as two butts will generally take a "little" longer, but it definitely would not be double the time.

For a two-butt smoke, I usually bump the heat to 235 to account for the extra mass in the smoker. With two butts, it will take a little longer to get to temp because of the extra heat sink that is caused by two cold pieces of meat in the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
Thanks folks, y'all are the masters of knowledge.  I used sugar maple this time and they both turned out yummy. So is the time formula estimate of xlbs X 1 1/2-2 hours for total meat or single pieces?  For example, do I combine weight for a total of 16 lbs of meat for 24 hours. Or 2 butts each weighing about 8lbs so that should have been approximately 12 hours smoke time.  I hope the first one because I smoked those 2 butts at 225 on the top shelf for 24 hours!  I pulled them at 194, double wrapped and cooler stored for 1 1/2 hours.  Again thanks for all the inputs and knowledge I truly appreciate it and feel it has saved me time and money.

In my experience, the time formula is like you were doing them single, so for two 8 lb butts, I would plan 8-12 hours.  BUT, I increase temp to 235-240 to offset the cold mass, and speed the process a bit.  No ill-effects at all on the finished meat.  I keep hearing about these 24-hour smokathons, but have never experienced anything close to that!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
thats a home run, the bones are just clean as a whistle.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?