Author Topic: I'm new and I was a fool  (Read 5194 times)

Sigbigot

I'm new and I was a fool
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »
I am a new owner of a #1, the little guy. There are some lessons to be learned and I wish to pass those things on which I have learned.

First, when they tell you to measure your wood, believe them. All of my buddies use wood by the handful. Don't exceed the 1 1/2 ounce starting point. You can have too little wood, but too much is a big problem unless you have a large dog, which I do.

Second is time. When someone tells you to smoke for 4 hours, you better be checking in 1 1/2 hours. This smoker is EFFICIENT and those used by your buddies probably are not. This is insulated so the heat stays regulated much better than other units so stuff cooks faster than theirs.

My first smoke was chicken thighs. My rub was too hot and the smoke, from 2 1/2 ounces of wood, was too much. I like them at first but my dog liked the rest. I also smoked some potatoes and they were dreadful until I shredded them into hash browns and they turned wonderful. I suggest that you do this. Your breakfast will thank you.

Then I smoked a pork tenderloin. I wasn't watching (I had an electronic thermometer that I put through the smoke port on the top and was set to 150 degrees). I was boning a pork butt to make sausage, then ground it and then packaged it up. The smoker is on the patio and I was in the kitchen and didn't hear the alarm. Regardless, I was 90 minutes getting to it and most recipes I read called for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 225. This hit 160 degrees in that 90 minutes and was still pretty good because I brined it, but it was not what it should be.

My buddy made some of the best ribs I have ever had. He smokes for 4 hours, wraps them in foil and cooks another 4 hours. I thought this was a great starting point. In looking at the forum I read one post that said that 3.5 to 4.5 hours at 225 makes great ribs, so I tried it. I was using St. Louis style ribs and there is a flap of meat on the bone side. After 4 hours and a few beers, it was time to eat, but I was dismayed that the ribs were sort of dry even though I had a pan of apple juice in the smoker with them. The flap of meat on the bone side was almost jerky. They were good, but not memorable.

The next day I took the ribs and put them in aluminum foils with a good portion of apple juice and reheated them for 2 hours in my oven and they were in fact memorable.

What I have extrapolated is this: Smoke with 1 1/2 oz of apple chips (soaked beforehand, of course) at 225 for 4 hours. Then, wrap the ribs in foil with some apple juice and cook another 2 hours either in the smoker (more efficient than your oven) or in the oven. Depending on your rub, these should be memorable.

When it comes to rub, the smart guys on this forum recommend mustard as a binder. I follow that logic and recommend it to those starting out. It is a really good binder and imparts no flavor in the end. Your rub, however, will. Be selective. If you don't like it hot, use less or no cayenne. If you like it hot, it is up to you. Rub is rub and it stays. Remember that you want to taste the meat, not a run through your spice cabinet.

I know this is long and involved, but I wanted to pass on to newbies my experiences in hopes that they make no mistakes. Some wives (or husbands) are not forgiving. Just remember that you bought the best unit on the market that I can find. It is very efficient in heat and wood usage. So, measure your wood (start with 1 1/2 oz of whatever wood you choose) and go from there. Not the hands full that your buddies tell you. Watch your temp in the product (use a meat probe that you can monitor on the outside). Take nothing for granted.

Unless you have a big dog (in my case a Mastiff) your mistakes will not be met well. Less is more.

Speaking of dogs. My dog has an eating disorder. Unlike most dogs, I have trouble getting my dog to eat. When I make her dinner, it has to be "juiced" and has been the case for years. I cook more for her than for my wife and myself. When I bring the drip tray into the kitchen, she camps out under my feet while I fix her dinner. So much for an eating disorder. In that regard I have a new friend.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm new and I was a fool
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
Welcome, don't worry pretty soon you will have enough success stories you will forget about the few that were not spectacular.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
That's quite an intro, Sig!  Welcome to the club, and thanks for your observations!  When you have the chance, add your first name and town to your signature line; it's always nice to know who are new friends are.

You're right about listening to your buddies with "traditional" smokers - these are definitely different animals!  Spend some time around the recipe board, and you might change a few of your conclusions.  For example, ribs.  Try some baby backs, with the 5 hours "no peeky" method - you'll be amazed.  Like you, I started with my #1 doing the 3-2-1, or 2-2-1 wrapping thing.  What I came to realize, is just what you said:  these smokers are efficient and tight!  When you prep the meat right, and use a juice pan, there is no need to ever foil your meat.  Now, I never foil anything (except for the rest, out of the smoker), and the results are great.  So, keep and open mind, and try some of the "tried and true" SI techniques!

As for dogs, I like you already! ;D   I, too, have an English mastiff.  He especially likes the rib bones!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »
Welcome aboard. We have all been there.

I agree you need to find a rub that you like really well. I might recommend meatheads memphis dust. Really good and minimal heat.

Btw, my dog likes the drip pan as well. Unfortunately, his diet does not allow much of it.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
Welcome Sig...
You're at the right place to learn...these folks here can help you out with anything that requires "smoke"
Don't forget the Pic's...
Welcome
Tony

Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

GATOR

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Thanks, I just my my LITTLE GUY for Christmas and looking forward to smoking really soon. Your tips will help