Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs - no bark  (Read 5993 times)

Jared

Baby Back Ribs - no bark
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
Hi All,

I have the model 2 and have used it twice to smoke baby back ribs with the same result.  The issue I have is that the ribs turn out very moist on the outside and have no bark and limited smoke penetration.  I have tried the same rub on my Weber charcoal grill and there was a great bark that was a dark red color, but when the ribs come out of the Smokin-it smoker they have no bark and appear to be really wet on the outside.

I make a little water pan out of foil as the video suggests, would removing this allow the bark to form?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jared

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Baby Back Ribs - no bark
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
Please tell us more about how you smoked them.

For example:

How long did you smoke them?

At what temperature?

How many ounces of wood did you use?

What level of rack/s did you use?

Did you use a binder like mustard, oil, etc.?

Where did you place your foil water pan?

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Jared

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
Hi NDKoze,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Some more details and answers to your questions are below.

I smoked them for 4 hours at 225 and used about 4 ounces of wood.  I used the three top racks of the smoker.  I used a rub and some vegetable oil on the ribs.  The water pan was on the bottom left of the smoker.

Thanks,
Jared

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »
Thanks.

A couple of things I would suggest on your next try.

1. Typically I go 5 hours on Baby Backs and 6 on Spares/St Louis, but this is may be more subjective to how fall off the bone you like. I like a little bit of chew and I get this on my #3 with these times. I have heard of some people with #1's and #2's that pull theirs at 4.0-4.5, but that has always been too early on my #3.

2. Most of the consensus here would say that 4 ounces of wood would be too much for ribs. But again this is more subjective. What most around here recommend is 2-3 ounces. I like mine heavier on the smoke, so I usually go 2.5-3.0 depending on the size of my chunks.

3. Top three racks should be good.

4. Water pan should be right up against the smoke box.

5. I personally always use Mustard and have always have great bark on my ribs and butts. I have heard of others having success with oil, but my guess is that the mustard would give a better bark and probably the best bet of all of what I have written here that will make a difference on the next smoke.

I am not sure how much of these suggestions will really give you a better bark. But these are pretty standard procedures that most here will agree on for smoking ribs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Jared

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
Thanks NDKoze,

I think the only difference would be a little mustard and having it cook longer, but I am not sure if adding an hour would make the difference in creating the bark. 

Is it possible the smoker is sealed so tight that there is too much moisture which is preventing the bark?  As mentioned I get great bark on by weber and that is not sealed as tightly and I cook them the same why on the weber.

Thanks,
Jared

es1025

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
Jared
I have a number 3, no issue getting bark. I smoke my ribs at 235, with a water pan on the bottom rack. Were you monitoring the temperature inside the smoker?

I used to smoke without an auber and always had great results, i would usually smoker for 5.5 hours for babies, now with the auber 5.25 hours.

My last smoke i did not use a binder per se, the ribs were still damp from the rinsing. I did however put a nice coating of rub. Back and forward on each rack.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
Jared
I have a number 3, no issue getting bark. I smoke my ribs at 235, with a water pan on the bottom rack. Were you monitoring the temperature inside the smoker?

I used to smoke without an auber and always had great results, i would usually smoker for 5.5 hours for babies, now with the auber 5.25 hours.

My last smoke i did not use a binder per se, the ribs were still damp from the rinsing. I did however put a nice coating of rub. Back and forward on each rack.

You could try skipping the water pan. But I have always used a water pan and have never had a problem getting good bark. I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Ed makes a good point that I forgot to mention. The last couple of rib smokes that I have done were at 235 too. So maybe a bump in the temp may help too. That may burn off a little more of that moisture.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Jared

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback and quick responses.  I think for the next rack of ribs I will try a little higher temp than 225 and leave them in for a little longer to see if that makes a difference.

As far as monitoring temp all I was using was a dial oven thermometer, so I am not sure how accurate it was.  I have not made the jump to a good digital thermometer yet.

The smoker is at my Dad's house so hopefully I will be able to get there in the next couple of weeks to try it out again.

Thanks,
Jared

jpittssr

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
Hi NDKoze,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Some more details and answers to your questions are below.

I smoked them for 4 hours at 225 and used about 4 ounces of wood.  I used the three top racks of the smoker.  I used a rub and some vegetable oil on the ribs.  The water pan was on the bottom left of the smoker.

Thanks,
Jared
I also have the Model #2 and here is my setup for ribs:
I remove the shiny membrane from the bone side. I have used olive oil, canola oil anf yellow mustard. I don't see any difference at all.
I cook ribs at 235. I find they do better for me at that temp. On heavier cuts like butts I cook at 225 to allow plenty of time fro rendering the fat.
Time wise, there is a recipe floating around that calls for "5hr no peek" its 5 hours @ 235 without opening the door. It works well for me.
Here is a picture of some St Louis ribs that I did. they were cooked at 235 for 6 hrs and were good but a little over cooked for my taste.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
I had the same issue when I was smoking ribs at 225, I now go 235. I have enjoyed better results at 235.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

vetkilr

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
Bark is way better at 235, then when I did 225. I also removed my water pan the last few times and bark was way better but the inside rib moisture content was down some.

When I cooked at 225 with a water pan all my rib seasoning was always still wet. After the change to 235 and no water pan now there is a actual bark, but the overall internal rib moisture was down even though they were still tender.

I always use Louisiana hot sauce as a binder it adds a little heat, not much but gives them a little more vinegar twang to them and makes a better bark then when I used mustard in these cookers.

Next ribs I am going to try and brine one slab in a white vinegar and hot sauce mixture and another I am going to inject said mixture but apple cider and a little hot sauce into the ribs and see if I can have a good bark and up the moisture some.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
Ah, rejoice, all you 235° rib converts!  LoL! ;D ;D   Jared - the guys are giving some great advice, if I do say so myself!  Personally, I love the yellow mustard binder; I can tell the difference between oil and mustard.  Although oil is certainly fine, and find mustard leaves the bark a little drier and "cheweyer" (is that a word?).  Anyways, I like mustard.  I also use a mini loaf pan with apple juice, on the bottom next to the smoke box.  And, 5-hours of the "no peeky" method!  I have NEVER had dry ribs, or weak bark, using this method!  No foiling, fiddling, or anything.  Just as little human intervention as possible! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
Jared,
As Divot said, the mini loafs pans are a great idea...you can pick up a pack
relatively cheap at your local grocery store.
I bought a couple of packs and keep them nearby when I smoke
You're at the right place to to learn...these folks know their business..
As you can already tell..Welcome
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...