Author Topic: Anybody Smoking Rib Tips?  (Read 2409 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Anybody Smoking Rib Tips?
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
I have not seen any posts about Rib Tips. I ran a search and only found a few comments that I had made. Tips are long tapering meat strips that are about three inches to two inches on either end. Usually about 1.5 to 2 ft long. This is the section that is cut away when the make the St. Louis cut Spares. If you guys have not tried rib tips you should for the following reasons:
*They are cheap! I just got a 10 pound box for $1.70 a pound
* There is more meat on some sections of the tips than on a lot of racks of ribs
* It's not complicated, treat them like ribs, mustard and Memphis Dust, smoke at 235
* Mine go for 3.5 to 4 hours until they are tender.
* After resting you chop the meat into 3/4 to 1 inch sections, a large chef knife works fine.
* Nobody has ever complained to me, "I don't like nibbling this sweet smoky pork meat, I'd rather have a rib.
   (people don't complain when their mouth is full)
The batch I made yesterday went straight to the fridge. I chopped them this morning. I warmed them in a heavy skillet until I started to hear a sizzle then rolled them in a sweet bourbon glaze.
Try some, unlike other projects It is a cheap experiment, I think you will enjoy them.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:58:04 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: Anybody Smoking Rib Tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
Hey Brian
I have not seen any Rib Tips in my local store (Food City)
But I will look again next time I'm there
They look awesome
Thanks for the pic's
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
I never see rib tips around where I live.  But, the 3-packs of spares I buy at Sam's have the tips attached.  If I buy spares, I just leave them on - best part of the rib!  I never understood cutting the meatiest part off to make St Louis cut ribs!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »
I live in Michigan, here and south of us in Indiana Tips are popular and have always been cheap meat. The come in ten pound boxes usually six long sections a one or two short ones to hit ten pounds exactly. See if your meat guy will order you a few cases.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud