Author Topic: Foil Really Required?  (Read 3208 times)

bigfoot21075

Foil Really Required?
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
HI Everyone!

I am just preparing my #3 for its second smoke tomorrow (two racks of spares or KC if I get to cutting them).

I cleaned up after my first cook (the full brisket). I put the foil down and still got grease under it, I even used the HD Reynolds foil. This got me wondering is it worth it to foil? I mean this is a smoker not an oven, don't I want it WELL seasoned? I have never foiled or even really cleaned any other smoker other than to just make sure it is not a grease fire waiting to happen. Is all this foiling really worth it?
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

jpittssr

Re: Foil Really Required?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Is all this foiling really worth it?
That's a dang good question.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:13:56 AM by jpittssr »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »
Hey Bigfoot,

Foil on the bottom will keep your life simple.  Especially with larger cuts, like butts and briskets, there's a LOT of drippings!  Due to the heat from the element, those drippings will bake very hard on the bottom without foil.  Yes, you get a little grease under the foil (I think mostly from the moisture that flows down the sides), but it easily wipes clean with a paper towel.  If you bake those drippings onto the bottom, cleaning is going to require a lot of scraping!  If you don't clean the burnt drippings, you run the risk of fire, and nasty burnt smoke on your next cook.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »
My rule of If that makes you happy then you should do it applies in this situation. however I beleive you will regret it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
+1
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

bigfoot21075

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
I will have to retry this, I made an amateur mistake with this cook. I decided to use a catch pan on the rack above the firebox. The problem was my catch pan (a disposable serving tray) was too large and it trapped the heat in the lower section of the smoker. I assume the temp sensor on the #3 is in the lower section of the box so when I heated, the pan trapped a lot of the heat preventing the rest of the over from getting hot. Eh live and learn
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
Yeah, that's a definite no-no. ;)

But hey, now you know.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »
+1.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
I recommend foiling the bottom of the smoker and the smoke box. Clean up is simple once everything has cooled down. Also, I take a dry paper towel and wipe up any residual drippings. One last item, wipe down the bottom hole where the drip pan is, a lot of gunk builds up.

I bought a giant roll of HD foil from Costco and still using it. You don't use much.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?