Author Topic: Question on temperature on #3  (Read 3698 times)

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Question on temperature on #3
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
Well...Did Baby Back Ribs yesterday for my second smoke and they turned out great. My wife even commented on how good they were. So, I think I'm getting better when the better half comments. I read that some of you folks do ribs at 235 degrees. I set my dial on the smoker at 235 and only used 1.7 ozs. of wood, half hickory and half cherry. They smoked for 5 hours. I also purchased a Maverick ET-733 thermometer (newer version) and use the oven probe to monitor the inside temp. My question is, does the inside temp vary a lot? The probe was placed on a clip attached to the rack in the middle of the smoker. I noticed that the inside temp did not maintain a steady temp. and also the reading would go from 240 all the way down to 190, then back up. Is this normal to have that much variance?
Thanks Guys for making me welcome to the forum...
Tony
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:21:15 PM by tbcop-is-smokin »
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Question on temperature on #3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
This is totally normal.

You may want to place the probe a bit higher. The temps are a lot more stable toward the top of the smoker.

As such, I always try to place my meat as high as I can in the smoker as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
Swings are completely normal, but should average out close to what temp you have it set at, so if you set it to 225, you will probably see temps from 205 to 245.

It also depends a lot on the load, my smoker will show temps + or - about 20 degrees empty, but if I have it loaded with meat, and the probe is near the meat it will read about 20 degrees lower.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

es1025

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
The swings are normal. Only way to eliminate is to get an auber pid. The auber will control the temperature that you dial in.

Before i bought the auber i had 30 degree swings. Less with large quantities of meat.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
Ditto. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
Thanks Tony (Divot) for the info on the wood... The half hickory and half cherry work out awesome.
I think my next purchase will be a stainless steel stand from Steve to get that baby up off the floor. The PID will have to wait and save a little mad money before I purchase it. I didn't realize when I started this smokin thing that it was going to be that expensive with all thing involved. But I'm glad I did. I absolutely love it. I have read a lot on this forum and I have learned more from you guys than anywhere I searched on the web...This is a great place to be and learn
Thanks for all the responses guy...You all are the "Best"
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
Thanks Tony (Divot) for the info on the wood... The half hickory and half cherry work out awesome.
I think my next purchase will be a stainless steel stand from Steve to get that baby up off the floor. The PID will have to wait and save a little mad money before I purchase it. I didn't realize when I started this smokin thing that it was going to be that expensive with all thing involved. But I'm glad I did. I absolutely love it. I have read a lot on this forum and I have learned more from you guys than anywhere I searched on the web...This is a great place to be and learn
Tony

The "thanks" is much-appreciated!  Helping each other is what we're all about here, unlike a lot of other sites.  We've tried to stay "true" to the SI way of smoking, which is making us the "premier" electric smoker manufacturer forum anywhere!  There are lots of "Jack of all trades" forums out there, that try to please everyone under the sun, but not many that focus on one brand, and all of its happy owners!  Also, a lot of those other sources have some big "personalities" that love to compete for the spotlight, rather than focus on healthy exchanges that benefit everyone.  I like it that everyone here has a commonality that you just don't find other places, and are genuinely a bunch of good folks!  We rid ourselves of the riff-Raff pretty quick!  And, as far as growth, we're blowing away the competitor "manufacturer" forums big time!  Thanks to new folks, like you, coming in every day, we'll continue to grow and thrive! 

So, the real "Thank You" goes to you, and everyone like you that's joined our growing family, and takes the time to participate! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Tony

The "thanks" is much-appreciated!  Helping each other is what we're all about here, unlike a lot of other sites.  We've tried to stay "true" to the SI way of smoking, which is making us the "premier" electric smoker manufacturer forum anywhere!  There are lots of "Jack of all trades" forums out there, that try to please everyone under the sun, but not many that focus on one brand, and all of its happy owners!  Also, a lot of those other sources have some big "personalities" that love to compete for the spotlight, rather than focus on healthy exchanges that benefit everyone.  I like it that everyone here has a commonality that you just don't find other places, and are genuinely a bunch of good folks!  We rid ourselves of the riff-Raff pretty quick!  And, as far as growth, we're blowing away the competitor "manufacturer" forums big time!  Thanks to new folks, like you, coming in every day, we'll continue to grow and thrive! 

So, the real "Thank You" goes to you, and everyone like you that's joined our growing family, and takes the time to participate! ;D

Very well put Tony!

The best thing about this forum is that we are all out here to help each other and make this forum community the best it can be and we are doing it big time!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »
I would have to agree, this forum rocks!  We are all contributing to make it was it is today.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
Ditto, again, guys! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas