Author Topic: New to Smokin  (Read 4926 times)

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
New to Smokin
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
I just purchased a Smokin-it #3 and absolutely love my smoker. I did a lot of research before purchasing an electric smoker and narrowed my selection down to the #3 smoker, and very happy that I did. Since I'm new to the arena, I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. I have found that this site has a lot of knowledge with experienced smokers. My first smoke was a Brisket and it did not turn out very well... due to the user. Since then I've done even more research and talked to some of the local smoker's in my area and found that I used to much wood and did not cook long enough. "User Error". Also, I have purchased many accessories to assist me with my smoker. Please Stand by for a lot of questions to come....
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New to Smokin
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
Welcome to the group, Tony!  I am sure you will have many great smokes ahead ... lots of good info on this forum, including different meats and recipes.  You can't go wrong here!   These smokers take very little wood to create great Q, usually no more than 3-4 oz for short smokes, or as much as 6oz for longer smokes like boston butts.   Many of us have purchased kitchen scales for the purpose of weighing wood to be sure we have the correct amount.    A good remote therm is also essential to monitor the internal temps of the meat while smoking.   Enjoy the forum, and bring on the questions!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
Always glad to welcome another Tony to the team! ;)   Spend a little time here, and you'll have that bad boy down in no time! 

What are the "many accessories?"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
I have both those items you mentioned...I ordered a Maverick Et-733 duel probe and have got a digital scale.
Thank you all for the "Welcome" I ready for my next smoke..
I'll be ask a lot of questions....so hang with me..
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
The ET-733 is a great choice.  I have the 732, which is great too; the 733 wasn't out when I got mine.  A scale is definitely a "must have!"

Let us know what your first smoke plans are! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. I also have the #3 and I absolutely love it, and more so the great Q that it produces. Read through the forum and follow the posts will give you great results. 

Just remember that these units use very little wood. For ribs I use 2 oz of wood, regardless of the number of racks I put in there, and for larger cuts such as brisket or pork butt, I use 5 - 6 oz.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »
Tony
Welcome to the smokin-it family.
We all have been in your shoe. Looking for a recipe or rub read the specific section.

You will have a lot of fun producing top notch q.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

mnsmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »
Talk about user error my first rib smoke I went with about 10-12 ounces wood and cooked for maybe 3 1/2 hours opening the door at least every hour to check on things......the result, waaaaay over smoked the dog wouldn't even touch em, well a lot has changed since then ribs are now a weekly event with much better results!!
Jim from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
Yea if Divot had not of saved me, on my first smoke I was about to do three chickens with 9 oz. Divot you might mention to Steve he include a general wood amount guide in the instructions, 1 small piece for chicken, 2 for ribs, three for pork butt. I may be wrong but the only wood amounts I remember from the paperwork was to use four chunks on the seasoning run. That gave me the impression that was the standard amount. Not everyone will be on the forum and it might save someone a bad meal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

restorick2378

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
Hey Tony,

Congrats on the #3!  Awesome smoker!  One suggestion would be to look at getting the Auber PID when budget allows.  I used the Auber on my first smoke (along with tested brine and rub recipes) and it turned out incredibly well.  I'd love to take the credit, but I just leaned on the experts here!

In time, I'm sure I'll experiment and find something enjoyable, but for the near term I'm gonna play it close to the vest and leverage the vast wealth of knowledge and experience here!

Good luck, and welcome to the family!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
Talk about user error my first rib smoke I went with about 10-12 ounces wood and cooked for maybe 3 1/2 hours opening the door at least every hour to check on things......the result, waaaaay over smoked the dog wouldn't even touch em.

That is just too funny.  I can totally relate, my first smoke wasn't quite that far off, somewhat edible, but way too much smoke. These smokers definitely don't need a lot of wood.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:49:55 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Yea if Divot had not of saved me, on my first smoke I was about to do three chickens with 9 oz. Divot you might mention to Steve he include a general wood amount guide in the instructions, 1 small piece for chicken, 2 for ribs, three for pork butt. I may be wrong but the only wood amounts I remember from the paperwork was to use four chunks on the seasoning run. That gave me the impression that was the standard amount. Not everyone will be on the forum and it might save someone a bad meal.

Good idea, Brian!  It's time to update some more of the instructions (we know lots more now!).  I get focused on certain issues (like getting the Auber instructions up to date), and forget about the simple ones.  Thanks for poking me on this one!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
I just purchased a Smokin-it #3 and absolutely love my smoker. I did a lot of research before purchasing an electric smoker and narrowed my selection down to the #3 smoker, and very happy that I did. Since I'm new to the arena, I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. I have found that this site has a lot of knowledge with experienced smokers. My first smoke was a Brisket and it did not turn out very well... due to the user. Since then I've done even more research and talked to some of the local smoker's in my area and found that I used to much wood and did not cook long enough. "User Error". Also, I have purchased many accessories to assist me with my smoker. Please Stand by for a lot of questions to come....
Tony

Welcome! I'm a number 3 noob myself, and I can tell you that there's a LOT of helpful information to be found here. It's pretty hard to go wrong with the advice you'll get here.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio