Author Topic: Rib Mix  (Read 2601 times)

truckinusa

Rib Mix
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
I did a mix of BB and SLR's 2-7-15.  I used a #1 and set the temp @ 235 for 5½ hrs.  I BB had nothing on it. 1 BB and 1 SLR had Memphis dry rub with a Mustard base wrapped in foil for 24 hours.  They all were cooked with no foil and a pan of apple juice next to the wood box.  I did not open for the full 5½ hrs.  Ribs were tender but not fall off the bone tender.  The Memphis rub was very spicy.  The lone BB with nothing on it  appeared to be greasy.  The flavor was good.  My wife likes a little less smoke...any suggestions, I used 2.4 oz of hickory wood.  Is their a way to keep the rib from being greasy.  I did not check the temp but the ribs pulled away from the bones easily.  The 3 slabs were all ½ slabs.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Big Al
Nashville
"Don't Worry about the Mule Just Load the Wagon"
Big Al from Nashville, Tn

Barrel99

Re: Rib Mix
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »
Hi Al. I have had ribs that ranged from greasy to juicy. Just depends on the ribs. The fat is what renders out and makes the ribs juicy. Pretty much by definition ribs will be a bit greasy. As far as the smoke, just cut back the wood amount. Everyone has a personal taste. And rubs also can be adjusted to your taste.

Don't expect fall off the bone ribs the way you cooked them. Which by the way is the preferred method for many of us. You need to try the 3-2-1 method for that. 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour unwrapped. For baby backs, 2-2-1.

All in all sounds like you had a successful smoke that just needs some personal taste adjustments.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:34:14 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
You can also mix your wood up a bit for a milder smoke flavor and a fuller smoke profile.  Fruit woods will be milder than Hickory. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

vetkilr

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »
Each rib will differ in cooking times, depending on thickness and such. I check mine at 5 hours and sometime they are done then and sometimes I go another hour to get them more tender. Also try smoking with apple or cherry wood. Milder smoke and they go great with ribs.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
Al
I use 2 oz of cherry or apple wood for ribs.

I have also found using water as the binder reduces the greasiness.

I get my ribs from bjs and are usually very good and not too fatty. You may consider trimming some excess fat.

For babies, top shelf 235, 5 hours and then rest for an hour.

Use plastic wrap instead of foil for the time in the fridge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:45:47 PM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
I agree with Ed on using plastic instead of foil for the dry-brining period.  Foil has a different reaction, but I don't know why.  Also, a mild fruit wood, like cherry, is very good on pork.

Greasiness:  You are rendering pork fat, so they're not going to be like eating chicken.  Ribs are, by nature, a little greasy - just like bacon.  Personally, I think the good liquified pork fat is what makes them good! ;)   It's not like any other fat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!